Author Topic: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces?  (Read 1656 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « on: November 27, 2021, 04:00:09 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As a person who enjoys preheat fluorescent lighting, I am considering the idea of installing WW2 F40T12 preheat shoplights in my dream house inside habitable rooms that people would frequently visit such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms, man caves, etc. if the ceilings were able to support the weight of such fixtures. If I chose to install such shoplights, I would personally install tubes that would suit my mood such as using daylight tubes in the summer, cool white tubes in the spring and fall, and warm white tubes in the winter. Would anyone else consider installing WW2 F40T12 preheat shoplights in habitable rooms too if they were interested? In addition, what tubes would you use in these shoplights and why?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 10:37:58 AM » Author: funkybulb
I have a F40 miller draft billard light as my bedroom light
 That is preheat. And I am planning on installing 4 lamper preheat  gleeco ice tray unit  wired on two circuit in my living room kitchen area. I use my royal whites tubes and
 F40CW halo tubes .   In the summer  Old school F40Ds
 And and  F40CWs .  I like mixing color temp in fixtures
 By hitting both switches.  I also use Use my single lamp
  Uk lighting around the celings.  And  lithonia 2 lamp
 Preheat  wrap around running 40 watt 2 foot lamps  in the bathroom.  Those will be running GEC warm whites.  In the
 Summer  Kinoflo K55 2 footer movie lamp.  Planning  on installing few HO turret industral  on my veranda  along with my 3 x gamma 6s .   Upstairs be what ever fluorescent lol.   

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 12:42:48 PM » Author: thelightingman
I most definitely would! I have one and would love to install it once I restore it to new condition.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 06:01:40 PM » Author: Walter Knox
I would... I don't really have to many old lights like that which would be too vintage, but in my bedroom right now I have an old louvered fixture that was originally preheat, it takes 2 F40 lamps, sadly when I got it the ballast was replaced to a universal therm-o-matic Rapid start ballast, but it is a nice older ballast. I also have a 1950s or so abrams lighting shoplight that is preheat and runs 2 f40 lamps, and I have 2 single lamp preheat striplights. all of that in one room. I also have 3 60s louvered fixtures that take 4 f40 lamps, but they have no ballasts in them and need restoration, but eventually I plan on restoring them and finding appropriate magnetic ballasts to install in them and will install them somewhere as well. they are very very heavy and sharp, so they are fun to mount.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 09:06:45 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Most definitely not! To me a fixture like that would look great in a shop or garage...but in a living space of the house it would be 'ugly'.
Any fluorescent that goes in the house needs to me slim & modern looking (and ideally be a recessed).
Ideal setup as far as lamps/ballast would be daylight + warm white individually dimmable & electronic ballast. (T5 as a 1st choice, T8 as a 2nd).
(as a side note: rooms like a diningroom or bathroom that would be incandescent (no LED or CFL allowed), I would also only go with modern-looking fixtures)

The garage (and any shed/shop/etc separate buildings) would all be basic shoplight fixtures, fluorescent &  any T12/T8/T5  would be fine with me (as would either magnetic or electronic ballasts) Really even LED retrofit tubes would be fine too...especially if I wanted something that would always turn on reliably in freezing cold!
Certainly if I was lucky enough to come across vintage fixtures, I'd make a point to use them (particularly if there was a 'work room' where I might be sitting working on projects or whatever (a room like that might even get an overall vintage decor...stuff that I would never put in the house....))

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 11:20:57 PM » Author: joseph_125
I personally prefer the commercial style fixtures like louvers for living spaces if I do use fluorescent. The preheaters are a better match for workshop type spaces. I should probably get around to installing mine. I have several F40 preheat lights in storage since my garage is already well lit with fluorescent. I suppose if I had to redo the lighting in there, I'd probably get the porcelain Benjamin F40 preheater I have installed. 
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 11:22:34 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I personally prefer the commercial style fixtures like louvers for living spaces if I do use fluorescent. The preheaters are a better match for workshop type spaces. I should probably get around to installing mine. I have several F40 preheat lights in storage since my garage is already well lit with fluorescent. I suppose if I had to redo the lighting in there, I'd probably get the porcelain Benjamin F40 preheater I have installed.

Egg crate preheaters and halfpipers would be a better match in my opinion.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Would anyone consider installing a WW2 F40 shoplight in their living spaces? « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 11:41:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
I suppose it's a personal preference but I always preferred the look of louvers on stems over the egg crate and half piper style lights. They have the sleeker look I like. The early louvers were preheat too but they soon changed over to rapid and instant start.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies