Author Topic: Are grow light ballasts usually probe or pulse start?  (Read 616 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Are grow light ballasts usually probe or pulse start? « on: December 02, 2021, 06:50:00 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Ive been seeing a lot of metal halide grow light ballasts for sale lately, and was wondering if they are probe or pulse start, or if there is any way to tell before buying one. I know probe start ballasts can run MV bulbs but pulse start can’t, so i want to be sure I don’t get the wrong ballast and accidentally blow a bulb.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Are grow light ballasts usually probe or pulse start? « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 12:27:21 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The switchable magnetic 400w and 1000w magnetic grow light ballasts are usually intended for probe start metal halide and high pressure sodium lamps of their wattage type. From what I understand, the digital electronic ballasts for grow lights are probably pulse start.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are grow light ballasts usually probe or pulse start? « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 11:20:02 AM » Author: RadiantMV
Im assuming the switchable magnetic ones will work for MV then?
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Are grow light ballasts usually probe or pulse start? « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 07:38:34 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is a switchable magnetic grow light ballast designed for 1000w S52 high pressure sodium lamps and 1000w M47 probe start metal halide lamps:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154469096579?hash=item23f7135c83:g:RZcAAOSwGidgruOv

On this ballast, it is safe to run 1000w H36 mercury vapor lamps, but not 1000w H34 mercury vapor lamps.

The 1000w switchable ballasts are more common than the 400w switchable ballasts.

When you use mercury vapor lamps on these ballasts, it is important to have the switch set to the "metal halide" setting since that setting has the ballast's ignitor disconnected. You can run the 1000w M141 pulse start metal halide lamps on the "high pressure sodium" setting since those lamps need an ignitor to fire them up. Lastly, the Philips CDM 860w AllStart ceramic metal halide lamps can be used on any setting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:50:19 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies