Author Topic: London Trip 2022, what will I find?  (Read 2778 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

London Trip 2022, what will I find? « on: December 05, 2021, 09:19:05 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
So, I'm taking a school trip to London April of 2022. We are visiting all the landmarks such as the London eye, Buckingham palace, and Big Ben. We also are going to Bletchley. I'm curious as to what I'm expected to find, any ideas? So far I've seen a lot of Philips and Schreder LEDs and some LED post tops.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 09:39:57 AM » Author: Rommie
Take a look around the area of the Houses of Parliament in Westminster. There are still some old gas lamps in use there. Also take a look here..!

Looks like you'll be seeing London before we ever get there again, no way can we travel until all the restrictions on face coverings are lifted :sadbulb:

But have fun, London is my home town, enjoy it  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 10:15:44 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Woah! A lamp powered by sewer gasses seems really cool! There should be more of them! Due to it being a STEM trip, I see no reason why we wouldn't visit this.

Thanks for the locations!

I hope you're able to get back over there soon! :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:46:28 AM by CreeRSW207 » Logged

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 12:26:33 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, that's the last remaining one, unfortunately  :(

Hopefully we'll get there again soon, but time will tell.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Euro-Bulbs.net

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 06:02:01 PM » Author: Econolite03
Cool! I’ve never been to another country but I’ve heard there’s quite a bit of attractions there.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 06:38:17 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Yeah, that's the last remaining one, unfortunately  :(

Hopefully we'll get there again soon, but time will tell.
I heard, what a shame. It seemed very practical.

@Econolite03, oh yeah, there’s plenty to do there!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 06:57:58 PM » Author: Rommie
Cool! I’ve never been to another country but I’ve heard there’s quite a bit of attractions there.
London is my home town, not been back since Covid though  :(

Must be 10 years or so since I was last in the US as well, we have a road trip to do when we do eventually get there again, lots of people to visit  :mrg:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Euro-Bulbs.net

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 07:23:59 PM » Author: Econolite03
Ria there’s plenty of stuff to see in California, we have one of your 1930s ocean liners with some SOX lamps in the parking lot!
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 07:26:44 PM » Author: Rommie
Oh I know, been there many times, spent a lot of time in and around San Francisco and around that area. One of my most memorable trips was driving along the coast from San Diego up to San Francisco along the Pacific Coast Highway, stunning scenery  8)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 07:40:19 PM » Author: joseph_125
The Kempton Steam Museum looks like a really cool place if old steam technology interests you, I believe they have the largest working example of a triple expansion steam engine that's still functional.

I've never been to the UK before but if I ever go I would probably definitely check that place out.

California is pretty nice too, I really only had a preview of a trip the last time I visited there in 2019.   
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 07:51:36 PM » Author: Rommie
@ Joseph - Looks interesting, will have to check that out.

If you do ever get over here, Aberdeen is well worth a visit as well  :bulbman:

BTW did you get my PM..?

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 12:50:25 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As you take your trip to London, I recommend that you visit numerous electrical stores and look for some European specification lamps, ballasts, and fixtures for you to take home and add to your collection. If I had the choice to visit another country in the future, I would aim to bring home some lighting that is marketed in that country. If you decide to bring home some lighting from the UK or anywhere else in the world, you will get a better understanding of the lighting that is used in different parts of the world. If you are interested in fluorescent lighting, you should try to hoard some T8 tubes and CFL lamps as the self ballasted CFL lamps have been banned already and  2 foot, 4 foot, and 5 foot T8 tubes will be banned in 2023. Since you will likely take a plane, it will be difficult for you to bring home some fluorescent tubes because you might risk breaking them and harming other passengers if you cannot package them properly. For running certain European specification lamps, ballasts, and fixtures back home in the USA, I strongly recommend that you look for some British specification power inverters to allow these lighting products to be operated at the correct voltage and frequency.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 12:58:15 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 04:59:06 AM » Author: Rommie
Thereby lies a problem. Pretty much anything other than LED is no longer sold here, except on places like eBay and maybe electrical wholesalers. Discharge lighting in particular has never been available retail here, so lamps and ballasts etc. just aren't going to be found, unless you happen on lamp bins etc. which is extremely unlikely in Central London.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 01:34:44 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
You could consider getting lamps, ballasts, and fixtures from electrical wholesalers to ship to the place where you stay at with minimal shipping costs since overseas shipping is extremely expensive in many cases.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 03:02:27 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Ria there’s plenty of stuff to see in California, we have one of your 1930s ocean liners with some SOX lamps in the parking lot!
I thought those were replaced?

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies