Author Topic: Workhorse Ballasts for 135W SOX  (Read 3703 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Workhorse Ballasts for 135W SOX « on: December 09, 2021, 05:07:10 PM » Author: Econolite03
Hi everyone,

Recently, I have acquired a few Philips 135W low pressure sodium lamps. I eventually want to be able to run one of them, and knowing how certain SOX lamps can operate on a Fulham Workhorse ballast, I plan to take the route. However, I’ve been debating on using either a Workhorse 6, 7, or 8 to drive the lamps. It has been proven a Workhorse 8 can run a 135W low pressure sodium lamp safely, but could a Workhorse 6 or 7 be a alternative?

On Amazon, I was considering a Fulham WH7-120-H to try out for $50. It has a rated maximum wattage of 220W, whereas a WH6 is 140W (I believe). I’m not too sure about the Workhorse lineup so any info or advice would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 05:36:46 PM by Econolite03 » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 07:09:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The most important thing to get your 135w SOX low pressure sodium lamp to run properly is to make sure that it runs at 165v 0.95a with the Fulham ballast that you choose since 165v 0.95a is the proper arc voltage and current for 135w SOX low pressure sodium lamps. You can try experimenting with several Fulham ballasts until you get one that runs your lamp at the rated arc drop and current. For measuring lamp current, you should use a clamp meter in series with the lamp. For measuring the arc drop, you need to stick the pins of a multimeter into the lamp socket's terminals. Ideally, 135w and 180w SOX low pressure sodium lamps need an OCV of about 600v-750v for proper starting and operation. In addition, it is important to make sure that your lamp does not overload the ballast's maximum lamp power rating.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:17:36 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 07:26:43 PM » Author: Econolite03
Thanks, yeah looking at it the WH6 wouldn’t cut it, so it’s between a WH7 or 8 if that’s the case. IIRC the WH8 has six red (output) wires, and using only two should start the lamp properly and give acceptable ratings on a multi-meter.

Now the question is on a WH7 (assuming it also has six red (output) wires), how many red wires should I use that could properly operate the lamp? To be honest I have a feeling I’ll have to buy the ballast first then run some tests on a multi-meter to figure that out, again any ideas are much appreciated.

See Here
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 08:30:23 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
You can use the clamp meter to determine how many wires you need to parallel together to see if the lamp will close to the rated 0.95a.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 11:37:37 PM » Author: Econolite03
Okay, I’ll look into it.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 12:32:20 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Your prolly better off using a Instant start HO sign ballast
  For 10 foot lamp Knowing that it can run .8 lamp current.

Here one u can get with out too much trouble If u can afford under 60 dollars US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324474795703

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 01:03:54 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Unfortunately, this SOX low pressure sodium ballast requires a 347v mains supply, which is a mains supply that this member is unlikely to have. Operating it on 120v mains would require an expensive step up transformer.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 11:35:43 PM » Author: Econolite03
I have decided I’ll try out a Workhorse 7 when I get paid, using a multi meter I should hopefully be able to get the appropriate output to start the lamp.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 01:11:22 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
There was a seller on eBay a while back with 2-135w SOX lamps and gear for sale . One had a correct 135/180w advance ballast (I bought that one) and the other had IIRC a workhorse 7 ballast .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 08:20:10 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Those ballasts are extremely expensive though, but worth it if it is the correct ballast if you had the money.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 08:44:23 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Not really . Considering that a "correct" 135/180w SOX ballast costs well 3 times that much nowadays . $50 isn't that bad .

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 09:35:00 PM » Author: Econolite03
Yeah, my priority is to simply get the lamps running just to be able to see them lit up. Nothing too fancy should do the trick.
 ;)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 10:22:02 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Not really . Considering that a "correct" 135/180w SOX ballast costs well 3 times that much nowadays . $50 isn't that bad .

I usually see North American 135w/180w SOX low pressure sodium HX autotransformer ballasts usually going for well over $150USD per piece.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Workhorse Ballasts For 135W SOX « Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 10:28:14 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
That's what I'm saying . A genuine SOX ballast is usually at least 3 times the price of the $50 ballast he already found .

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Workhorse Ballasts for 135W SOX « Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 03:12:03 PM » Author: lights*plus
A WH6 easily lights the 135w SOX lamp but the lamp is about 40% underdriven. A WH5 actually runs it better with approximately 30% less light. I used all 4 red wires for both these ballasts. Have not acquired a WH7 to do any tests yet.

347 Volts is necessary on my SOLA ballast I have on eBay, but it is surprisingly flexible input wise. Meaning: it easily lights a 135w SOX lamp. Read the eBay description or simply look at the pretty pics.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324474795703
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies