Author Topic: Ballast for 55w SOX  (Read 3329 times)
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Ballast for 55w SOX « on: December 14, 2021, 08:47:37 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I'm wondering what florescent ballast works best to power a 55W SOX lamp. I'd really like to see my lamp lit.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 09:27:43 AM » Author: Rommie
I think for your side of the water, one of the Fulham Workhorse ballasts is probably the best, many people have reported good results from them. Can't remember which one for the 55W though  :wndr: :lps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 04:53:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've used a Fullham WH-5 ballast with two of the output leads connected to the lamp (cap the unused two leads separately) and it seems to light a 55W satisfactorily. The same ballast using 3 output leads seems to run my 90w lamp satisfactorily.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 11:28:33 PM » Author: funkybulb
GE once made electronic ballast for them to use in floor lamps
 There also electronic ballast adaptors that sold in 1990s-2000
  For those 55 watt 2D

Just any two lamp 32 watt instant start ballast will run them fine
With combined output.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 08:10:09 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I've used a Fullham WH-5 ballast with two of the output leads connected to the lamp (cap the unused two leads separately) and it seems to light a 55W satisfactorily. The same ballast using 3 output leads seems to run my 90w lamp satisfactorily.

Thank you.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 08:38:20 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
One other question: where can I get a socket for 55W SOX?
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 08:40:10 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
One thing you might try is to possibly use a 35/39w pulse start metal halide ballast in conjunction with a European SOX low pressure sodium ignitor if you prefer magnetic ballasts over electronic ballasts, but would like magnetic ballasts at an affordable price. For the European SOX ignitors, you might find ones for cheap on the British eBay that offer cheap international shipping. In my personal experience, I prefer magnetic ballasts over electronic ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 09:37:23 AM » Author: Rommie
One other question: where can I get a socket for 55W SOX?
I presume you mean a ceramic bayonet one..? I could let you have one of those, I have several spare. Send me a PM with your address.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 08:30:42 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
With the price of shipping I'd rather find one in my own country. I'd just like to know what type of socket to use. And yes, I mean ceramic.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 08:31:51 AM » Author: Rommie
One or two won't cost much. Anyway, the offer is there.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 03:00:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
This was the lampholder typically used by luminaire manufacturers here. It's a little bit on the expensive side I suppose but I'm not sure if these are still made. Kulka 5110 was the other common SOX lampholder here.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 03:04:17 PM » Author: Rommie
Those are ridiculous prices. Like I said, the offer is open if you want one, it won't be anywhere near those prices..!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 03:06:27 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, the price for the Leviton 8806 has been around that mark for the past 2-3 years over here. When I wanted more SOX lampholders, I ordered a bunch of ceramic ones from AliExpress for the price of one Leviton. I can't seem to find the listing for them anymore.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 03:07:29 PM » Author: Rommie
You should have asked me, I've got loads of them, they're dirt cheap on UK eBay.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Ballast for 55w SOX « Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 05:25:25 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In my SOX table lamp, I used brass B22 lampholders to allow for more creativity when creating homemade SOX fixtures.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies