Author Topic: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room  (Read 3659 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « on: December 15, 2021, 07:37:17 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If my landlord is okay with me hanging a temporary heavy light fixture in my apartment’s living room, which has no ceiling light, I am considering hanging a vintage F40T12 preheat fluorescent fixture with chains at each end without damaging the ceiling in the same way that I hang a swag lamp or a temporary chandelier. Are there any temporary adhesive ceiling hooks that will be able to support the weight of such a fixture that are available on the market that will not require drilling or leave residue? If so, can you link me to some of those hooks? I will be making a request to my landlord in writing to see if they will approve of hanging a temporary heavy light fixture in my apartment’s living room.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 12:49:23 PM » Author: funkybulb
  How heavy is the light ?

Best thing to do if u use a swag lamp cord make it look like it part of fixture?   If u get a magnet to feel the pulls of screws to locate where celing rafters are.  And use J hooks.   I would just get a common shop light fuxture and convert it to preheat as it be light and easy to install and it look like somthing u plug into the wall
 Few screw or nail holes are accepable when u move when u take down your lights as long as u fill in holes when you  leave.  people who do make readies with fresh coat of paint before tenent moves in.  The key is that u dont want be modifiying your apartments.

Let say certian fixture thar u want put up for example let say u want preheat circline in the hallway.   U can ask maintance men if it ok that he can change a light fixture out.  As long it dont interfear with
 With orginal wiring and light can be put back up easly when u move.

I had freind of mine had 1960s  cheap preheat shop light in kichen
With Sylvania F40D lifeline lamps and he ask mainance men to take down a light and Install a outlet in place so he can plug in his shop
Light in kitchen.  Being a 1947 apartment complex with all bills paid
 3 phase 208.  And this was back in 2007 that Apt still got that ornginal 1947 fridgare refrgerator that u had to manually defrost
But that life line F40D eols in late 1995 and at time DX phosphor was
Not out yet at homedepot due Epact.  That was one preheat got left behind when they moved.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 01:40:28 PM » Author: Econolite03
Are you sure the landlord is going to be okay with that? It seems interesting and something like a “swag-kit” could work to supply power, but for safety reasons the fixture needs to be affixed to the stud or wood frame in the ceiling.

I’d imagine you could use heavy duty utility hooks to screw into the studs. Back in the day, there used to be these extra large utility hooks that were designed to support chandeliers and in which my house has those but they’re from the late 70s. To be honest, I don’t think the landlord will permit hanging something like that regardless, due to liability and such. But if he/she does approve then that’s pretty cool.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 04:39:04 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Are there any types of stands that I can use to hang my F40T12 preheat fixture on so that I do not have to install it in the ceiling?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 06:25:12 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Have you thought about using this set up.?  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 06:27:02 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It only consists of a bare lamp. I am more interested in hanging a pre made fixture.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 07:05:13 AM » Author: sol
Maybe you could consider getting a tall wide bookcase and making some sort of overhang to mount your fixture in front of the top. If you go this route, you would want to make sure you have either heavy things (like books) on the bottom shelf or attach it to the wall (or both). An overhanging preheat (I'm guessing vintage = heavy) makes it dangerous for tipping into the room.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 05:42:45 PM » Author: joseph_125
If you just want functionality, you can find or build something like a growlight stand (link to show example of one) to hang your light under. You can probably use 2x4 lumber, threaded steel pipe, or square metal tubing to build something with a similar shape with dimensions that work for you.

Older 4ft preheat fluorescent lights are quite heavy so if it dosen't stand stable, I would make the base wider and also put some weights on it.

The bookcase idea will probably look nicer but make sure to really weigh down the base since the light is cantilevered out. 

The other option if you intend to stay for a bit at your place is to talk with your landlord about installing it. You might get them to agree if you choose to hire a electrician and offer to fully repair any damage done to the ceiling when you move out. It's usually best to get an agreement done in writing to avoid conflict later.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 05:47:14 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 04:48:37 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am considering the idea of trying to suspend the fixture over a couch so that it provides some overhead lighting for my apartment's living room. While doing this, I really want to avoid having people's heads constantly bumping into the fixture.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 04:55:12 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 03:45:22 PM » Author: joseph_125
The grow light stand design is probably your best bet. You'll probably have to DIY one but then you can size it to hang high enough and for the stand to clear the couch.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 02:25:50 AM » Author: nicksfans
What I would do is simply ask the landlord if you can put a couple of hooks into the ceiling joists through the drywall. Once removed, they'll just leave 1/4" or smaller holes which could be filled pretty easily.

Definitely use a stud finder to make sure you hit the joists, and pre-drill the holes. Do not try to support an old preheat fixture from the drywall, especially not with adhesive alone.

Alternatively, get two bookcases of the same height and place a long board or other solid object on top, bridging the gap. Then hang the fixture from the board.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 04:05:58 PM » Author: sol
If you go the bookcase-and-boards route, I'd screw them together, just in case. The fixture you intend on using here is most likely heavy enough you don't want it to fall on someone sitting on the couch...
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 04:17:08 PM » Author: nicksfans
Yeah, screws would be a good idea.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 05:37:02 PM » Author: joseph_125
If you go the bookcase-and-boards route, I'd screw them together, just in case. The fixture you intend on using here is most likely heavy enough you don't want it to fall on someone sitting on the couch...

Yeah, I'd personally build the beam out of dimensional lumber appropriate for the load and span and fasten it securely to the bookcases. Home Depot or Lowe's should sell the hanger brackets that would work to attach the beam.   
Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hanging a preheat F40T12 fluorescent fixture in apartment living room « Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 12:17:19 AM » Author: Cavannus
I totally agree with Nicksfans and was going to write the same piece of advice: screw your fixture into the joists through the drywall, and buy a stud finder that is a useful tool in the long term anyway.

If you use an adhesive product your fixture will fall and may hurt someone.
If you hang a heavy fixture with those special T screws that stand on top side of the drywall, it won't be enough resistant either.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies