Author Topic: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps  (Read 1617 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « on: December 28, 2021, 01:26:29 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Since many members seem to have sizable collections of both fluorescent lamps and HID lamps, I am looking at the idea of building a light fixture that uses both fluorescent lamps and HID lamps. If I had to build a fluorescent/HID fixture myself, It would consist of a row of several individually magnetically ballasted 70w M98 pulse start metal halide lamps and 2 F40T12 fluorescent tubes surrounding the metal halide lamps and the pair of F40T12 fluorescent tubes would run on a 2 lamp F40T12 preheat ballast. If you decided to make your own light fixture that uses both fluorescent and HID lamps, what fluorescent lamps and HID lamps would you use and how would you ballast them?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 01:45:06 AM » Author: joseph_125
Years ago, the state of the art lighting for reef aquariums was a combination MH and VHO fixture. Usually with high colour temperature MH and actinic blue VHO fluorescent. Later on different variations to that concept were made such as replacing standard MH lamps with double ended lamps and replacing VHO fluorescent with T5.

Here's a picture of one of those MH/T5 fluorescent combo fixtures. It'd sure make one bright high bay if you mounted to a ceiling.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 01:59:01 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Were the VHO tubes in the VHO/metal halide fixtures magnetically ballasted?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 02:15:35 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: joseph_125
Years ago, the state of the art lighting for reef aquariums was a combination MH and VHO fixture.
I remember seeing those in catalogs (and in use in aquarium/fish shops). Very expensive stuff back in the day! I thought they were cool, but had zero interest due to the high cost ... now those expensive old fixtures are worth nothing, since everythings gone LED for aquarium lighting.

And VHO aquarium lights in general, I love seeing those nice bright lamps on aquariums...really wanted some myself.
Also thought the massive beasts of ballasts that went along with them were pretty cool.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 02:19:33 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 05:19:01 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if anyone considered building a combination preheat linear fluorescent/HID fixture before? I would figure that some people might be interested in the idea of a combination preheat fluorescent/mercury vapor fixture since many people who love preheat fluorescent lights love mercury vapor lights too.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 08:50:03 PM » Author: sol
Years ago, a member here (I don’t remember whom) bought a large custom made remote ballast box that contained a couple of M57 ballasts as well as several HO (or VHO, I don’t remember) ballasts. It was custom made by an electric supply store and sat on the shelves for years. No one remembered what it was for. I always wondered what the intended fixture would have looked like.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 09:04:02 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Sol, are you talking about member BlueHalide? I believe he's the one who has them.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 09:19:23 PM » Author: sol
Yes, thank you !

See here for a picture .
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 09:20:30 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if anyone considered the idea of building a combination preheat fluorescent/HID fixture before.

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 09:27:06 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
I wonder if any of those fixtures ever used powergroove tubes?  :wndr:
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a light fixture that uses fluorescent lamps and HID lamps « Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 09:40:33 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It would seem unlikely because powergroove tubes were almost always halophosphate tubes intended for general lighting.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies