Author Topic: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house  (Read 1558 times)
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
80 year old oak tree fell on my house « on: January 01, 2022, 09:05:39 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Flat head borer worms got to it and rotted the internal structure causing it to fail. Luckily, the still alive branches have braced it against the roof and my dad tied the trunk up with rope. However, I heard the plywood underneath the large branch snap, so I don’t know how much longer it will hold. The tree guys will be there tomorrow to check it out. My guess is removal will happen on Monday.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 10:02:29 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Ouch! Hopefully the damages won't cost an arm and a leg. That oak tree wasn't very old, either.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 04:10:42 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Nightmare!, especially with oak!, their heavy and probably the worst tree to have it happen with!
Was it just the worms, or was it also assisted by storm winds?, sounds like there’s only minimal damage which is a good thing  :o

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 10:30:25 AM » Author: desktoptrashcan
There was no wind when the tree fell. It simply fell on its own from a rotted trunk.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 10:47:07 AM » Author: rjluna2
Ouch :( I hope all is well and hope to recover from this damage.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 02:52:49 PM » Author: takemorepills
I hope the damages are as minimal as possible!

We had someone else's tree fall on the property of our previous home, caused a lot of damage, and I was very upset to find that if someone else's tree damages your property, the owner of the tree is not responsible. I think that is the most ridiculous rule ever.

When we bought our new home, I cut down all trees within falling reach of our home. Then I had locates called on my property and I rented an excavator and removed all of the root balls.

I do miss the trees, but we just had a big windstorm 5 weeks ago and my neighbor's home was damaged by his neighbor's tree falling onto it. It SUCKS to try and find a tree crew to cut a tree off of your home right after a wind storm.

Without the trees our AC bill is slightly higher too. Better than any nasty surprises!
Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 02:54:51 PM » Author: Danny
Was the tree still alive or dead before it fell?
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 03:33:18 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
It was still alive.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 08:44:51 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I had a large tree taken down by a storm a couple years ago...it fell in a neighbors yard. Made for some nice firewood.
My sister had a neighbors (dead) tree fall on her house this year in a storm. Luckily damage was minor.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 09:37:57 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Update: As of Jan 3rd, the tree has been removed. It was a 50 year old water oak tree, which is right about what the lifetime of a water oak tree is (50 years). The stump is irregular and misshapen, and there are holes in it from where the borer worms bored into the tree. The roof has sustained some damage. The roofers are coming on Thursday (Jan 6th).
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 08:31:54 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Update 2: The roofer inspected the damage today. He is coming back tomorrow to fix it. I can finally put this behind me after that.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: 80 year old oak tree fell on my house « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 10:30:27 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Yikes, i have photos somewhere when i had a ~200 foot tall tree fall on my house in california. Fortunately all that was damaged was the gutter on the house and causing a mess on the porch. If it feel at a different angle, it could have taken out the whole front of the house. :poof:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies