Author Topic: Difference between grow light HPS and MH vs normal HPS and MH.  (Read 661 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Difference between grow light HPS and MH vs normal HPS and MH. « on: January 09, 2022, 05:49:29 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
While trying to add HID lamps to my collection, I have noticed that some high pressure sodium lamps and metal halide lamps are intended for plant growth applications while other high pressure sodium lamps and metal halide lamps are intended for general lighting applications. In addition, some metal halide lamps are intended for aquarium lighting applications. In addition to knowing that plant growth and aquarium metal halide lamps have a wide range of CCTs whereas general lighting metal halide lamps have a narrow range of CCTs, I wonder if there are any differences in emission spectra and gas fill composition between general lighting metal halide lamps, plant growth metal halide lamps, and aquarium metal halide lamps that have the exact same CCT. I would also like to know if there are any differences between the emission spectra and gas fill composition between general lighting high pressure sodium lamps and plant growth high pressure sodium lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Difference between grow light HPS and MH vs normal HPS and MH. « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 05:57:53 AM » Author: dor123
HPS lamps for plant growning, have higher xenon pressure and more mercury to push the sodium line to the red, and enhance the blue lines of the sodium spectrum, so the lamp is redder or pinker than regular HPS lamps.
MH lamps for plant growing have exactly the same spectrum as regular MH lamps. Namely sodium and scandium like most American MH lamps, or daylight rare-earth similar to the European Osram HQI-BT 400W/D, and are actually fraud.
Aquarium MH lamps have high CCT, usually higher than 6500K. Most of them based on dysprosium or indium.
I've several 70W R7s MH lamps for aquariums that I bought from Aliexpress for my tracklight.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between grow light HPS and MH vs normal HPS and MH. « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 01:04:04 AM » Author: tolivac
For plant lighting ceramic metal halide is now the most common and efficient.CMH has a more constant color and longer life than quartz tube halide lights.And of course better efficiency.For C-182 based lamps 315W and 500W most common.From plant lamp suppliers available in 3K,3KR(red enhanced),4K and 12K.Have these in my collection along with the HPS "red,blue" enhanced lamps-600w.these are availabe in 250W,400W,1000W single end and double end lamps.The 1000W DE lamps are more intense adn brighter than single end 1000W lamps.I have been collecting and using these lights since they are commonly available-more so then the gen lighting versions.Also LED plant lamps are available-but MORE expensive than HID for equivelent wattage.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies