Author Topic: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs?  (Read 1192 times)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « on: January 09, 2022, 11:32:47 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Perhaps an odd question about a modern flashlight, but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere.

I'm considering getting myself an incandescent Mag-Lite, but since 2012 they use a proprietary bi-pin bulb that goes in a little plastic holder and then into the flashlight. Does anybody know if the bulb and its holder can be replaced with a standard PR or KPR bulb, or did they redesign the flashlight itself to make that impossible?

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 01:12:28 AM » Author: tolivac
Check on mag-light website and see if adaptors are available-or LED conversion kits.For portable lighting I went away from Mag-Light since their designs are now rather dated.Olight is a good alternative.For portable lights--expensive-but worth it.Go Polarion I have their PS-PH50D light.Has a HID bulb and two light settings.One of the more powerful and long lived HID single bulb portable lights out there.They cost about 2 grand-but LOVE mine--used everyday!!!can generate 6,000 lumens of warm-white light!!!You buy this-cry only once on its price.Olight is a much less expensive alternative-there lights are LED.The Polarion is the most liked and reccomended light by portable light enthussiatsts.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 01:16:12 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
There are adapters to put bi-pin bulbs in older Mag-Lites, but not the other way around. But there are also third-party LED bulbs designed to fit both the old and new Mag-Lites. So I'm just wondering if standard krypton bulbs also fit the new units. I'd like to know if I'll be able to drop in any standard bulb if I wish, or if I need to find an old Mag-Lite on eBay.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:09:16 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'll have a look at my new Mag-lite and see if the adaptor can be removed.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 01:28:51 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I've just had a look and although the locking ring round the adaptor unscrews I don't want to run the risk of damaging the torch.  :sadbulb:

Have you tried contacting Mag-lite directly and asking them if it's possible.?  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

musictomyeyes

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 07:03:25 PM » Author: musictomyeyes
Extensive discussion can be found on Candle Power Forums.  Short answer is no: the late Maglite incandescent C and D cell torch design, exclusively holds their bipin lamps.

I wouldn't mind that, I would enjoy buying refills of those nice Xenon light bulbs, but: as far as I know, Maglite only sell replacement lamps as individually-packaged retrofit/upgrade kits.  It is appallingly wasteful: garbage plastic packaging (store peg plastic hanger card), plastic+metal lampholder (bipin socket to PR flange base adapter), and retaining/cap ring/nut, comes with each and every single little lamp.  Disgraceful.

edit add: For those not familiar with contemporary incandescent Maglite, here, see how wasteful is their lamp-bulb package.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:09:58 PM by musictomyeyes » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 08:16:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
Hmm I have a older 3D Maglite and yeah it just uses regular flashlight bulbs. I did replace with one of the Maglite produced LED lamps though.

Those newer Xenon bipin lamps look nice but it does seem pretty silly that they don't sell the lamps separately. I have a older Maglite so I do need the additional parts for it but I don't need them for subsequent replacements. Even the bulk pack advertised includes all of the lampholder parts too. 
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Can bi-pin Mag-Lites take PR bulbs? « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 01:55:12 PM » Author: nogden
Yes, you can remove the bi-pin lamp and adapter and install a PR-based lamp. You just have to either drill out or replace the lamp retaining ring. The lamp retaining ring that comes with bi-pin flashlights has a hole in the middle that's too small to accommodate the larger PR-based lamp.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies