Author Topic: New Fixture Dilemma  (Read 1651 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

New Fixture Dilemma « on: January 10, 2022, 12:43:16 AM » Author: Econolite03
Okay, so here’s what’s going on. Recently, I have been considering acquiring a new GE HID fixture for my collection. For years, I’ve been eyeing various fixtures but passed on many of them. Recently, some really appealing fixtures have showed up on eBay but I’m having a hard time deciding which one should I get? Here’s what they are:

Price  |  Make - Model  |  Source
• $35 GE Wallighter FL      (PL)     
• $35 GE Wallmount 175   (HPS)
• $— GE 201-SA               (MV) *Purchased*

Honestly, I don’t have any wallpacks yet so one of the two would be a nice addition. I wasn’t really into that style years ago but knowing how HPS is on the way out and how I’ve never seen a PL fluorescent GE wallpack before sounds intriguing. Now the 201-SA is the trickiest, because I already have one in HPS plus the MVS-175. So having a Mercury version of the 201-SA sounds repetitive as they literally look the same just different guts. I get paid towards the end of the month but I’m just having a hard time deciding.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 01:27:50 AM by Econolite03 » Logged
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 12:58:31 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Heh, I was eyeing that fluorescent wallpack too but you can get it. That's worth getting, especially being an 18w one too. I have a fluorescent wall pack, but it's a cheaply made.

I'd say the Wallmount next, then the SA, since there's less of those available compared to the SAs.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:18:45 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 01:41:08 AM » Author: Econolite03
@fluorescent lover 40: Oh no it’s okay, you can have the Wallighter FL. You earned it, the seller reduced the price too. I think you should consider getting it as those are pretty rare, I’d say it’s from the 90s.

I’ll likely boil it down to just the Wallmount 175, and maybe a Powerflood P-154 (in place of the Wallighter). The 201-SA seems like one of those “get it before it’s gone” type of scenario. If it stays available for like a few years as there’s supposedly 800 of them, then I could wait for now.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:18:53 AM by Econolite03 » Logged
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 02:44:20 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Nah, it's ok, just get it. I'm running out of room, plus my parents don't really let me use eBay all that much anyway. You're better getting that than a P-154. Unless you found one locally, the ones on eBay are crazy expensive for whatever reason. If you want something similar, the PF-154 is a bit cheaper.

I'd get the SA as it could be a now or never situation. I saw another seller selling Wallmount 175s a little bit cheaper than the ones listed but no one ever got one, than eventually, the listing disappeared.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 08:18:27 PM » Author: joseph_125
Hmm I am in a similar situation as you. I was originally going to get the Wallmount 175 (70w HPS) but then the SA201 showed up and I think I'm more inclined to get that first, especially since it's 175w MV.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 11:47:33 PM » Author: Econolite03
Yeah, once those nema heads showed up I’ve been wanting one now.

I wonder if anyone on L-G has gotten one of those mercury vapor 201-SAs yet?
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 12:15:25 AM » Author: Silverliner
The seller with 800 SA201s? I bought two.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 01:36:00 AM » Author: Econolite03
Yep, that’s pretty cool!
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 08:15:44 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah I've thought about getting one of those MV 201SA, but I already have an older 1980s one. Still for the price, it seems worth it.

There's another seller that has numerous Cooper RMA NEMA units for sale for around the same price. I believe they're 100W HPS. I've been thinking of getting one of those too.

I already have a 50W HPS AEL NEMA but it doesn't have the reflector/lens, so I use the one for me GE when I use it.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: New Fixture Dilemma « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 02:34:15 AM » Author: Econolite03
When I get paid I may get one of the 201-SAs since seeing those (that generation specialty) in MV is sorta uncommon. I’d pair it with a Norelco BT-28. We’ll see next month.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies