Author Topic: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter  (Read 1053 times)
E655-521

View Posts
View Gallery

Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « on: January 11, 2022, 05:28:49 PM » Author: E655-521
Hi, I found this Osram Nav (Son) -e made in slovakia in the trash, and since it doesn't show any signs of life on the normal circuit, I want to understand if it's because of the internal igniter.
So what would happen if you switched it on a normal circuit with an igniter?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 07:03:01 PM » Author: Rommie
If it doesn't work on just a simple choke ballast, then it should be fine to try an external ignitor. What rating of lamp is it, and what type of internal ignitor..? A picture would be useful.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 02:57:53 AM » Author: Medved
It will either start and run normally or it won't. Depends what went bad inside of the lamp.
But if you have seen a current flowing through the lamp, it most likely won't. Osram uses glow bottle starters in order to generate an inductive kick to start the lamp and these may weld closed. In that case there is no way to make them work...

No more selfballasted c***

E655-521

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 09:22:43 AM » Author: E655-521
To understand if the two glow bottles in the lamp were closed I checked if there was a minimum of resistance in the lamp, but the circuit is open, so I think it can work.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 09:41:31 AM » Author: dor123
The two glow bottles in the Osram NAV-E/I 70W, are different. Only one of them is a glow starter, the other is a thermal switch which disconnects the starter when the lamp is hot.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

E655-521

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 01:10:48 PM » Author: E655-521
In the end i tried on the external igniter circuit, and the lamp worked.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 01:18:36 PM » Author: Rommie
Yay..!  ;D :hps: :hps: :hps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 10:13:40 PM » Author: dor123
Operating an internal ignitor lamp on an external ignitor, can destroy the internal ignitor by the pulse of the external ignitor.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I turn on an Osram Nav (Son) -E (with internal ignition) on a normal igniter « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 01:52:23 AM » Author: Medved
@dor:
The point of this thread was, the lamp has the starter bad to start with.
So it is either run it on an external ignitor, or not being able to run it at all.
Yes, the ignitor may be "damaging the stsrter further", but what is the point when the starter already does not work?

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies