Author Topic: Preheat or rapid start?  (Read 1735 times)
WigWag
Re: Preheat or rapid start? « Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 09:21:42 PM » Author: WigWag
Note that there are a couple different types of F25T12:
The 48" F25T12 which is electrically very similar to a F40T12 (the ballast would 'see' either as a 48" lamp)
And the 30" F25T12 (which the ballast would 'see' as 30")

Since the ballast specifies lamps down to a FC8T9, it should be just fine running the 30" F25's
(actually even a modern 2xF40 HPF magnetic RS should run those lamps just fine)
Thank you! We were thinking the same thing. If it can run a small tube such as an FC8T9 then it's doubtful that that an F25T12 would be a problem even though they are 30" tubes and the ballast mentions 3' tubes.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Preheat or rapid start? « Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 02:16:37 PM » Author: icefoglights
Here is an example of a ballast for those oddball style tubes.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Preheat or rapid start? « Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 08:36:39 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: WigWag
  Thank you! We were thinking the same thing. If it can run a small tube such as an FC8T9 then it's doubtful that that an F25T12 would be a problem even though they are 30" tubes and the ballast mentions 3' tubes.
Welcome. Out of curiosity I just took one of those circlines & measured it as best I could with a tape measure...looks like it'd be a bit less than 24" if one could straighten it out .lol. (so for simplicity lets just say that's a F20). Being a T9 rather than T12, the ballast would 'see' something a bit longer. A F22T12? maybe? if such existed.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat or rapid start? « Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 08:59:01 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
The F25T12/28" , 30" & 33" were commonly used in appliances and jukeboxes All three use the same ballast . Is there a rapid start ballast for these ? I don't know . I do have several of both the 28" & 33" lamps in use in a few of my old jukeboxes , those are all pre heat choke style ballasts .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WigWag
Re: Preheat or rapid start? « Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 09:47:13 PM » Author: WigWag
Welcome. Out of curiosity I just took one of those circlines & measured it as best I could with a tape measure...looks like it'd be a bit less than 24" if one could straighten it out .lol. (so for simplicity lets just say that's a F20). Being a T9 rather than T12, the ballast would 'see' something a bit longer. A F22T12? maybe? if such existed.
Thank you. If the ballast were to "see" a slightly longer tube would that be ok for the tubes themselves.
According to something I heard today these appliance tubes normally operate on preheat ballasts and the worst that would happen on rapid start would be somewhat slightly lower life.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Preheat or rapid start? « Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 10:02:16 PM » Author: funkybulb
These F25T12/30 tubes runs 430 mA preheat choke.  On rapid start they did make a 3 ft 25 watt energy saver tubes just like 4 ft 34 watt energy saver on rapid start 460 mA.

It will work on 30 watt rapid start that can take 3 foot 25 watt T12 energy saver tubes.  But it will take bit longer to strike up cause higher cathode voltage because there preheat applince lamps.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Preheat or rapid start? « Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 07:45:55 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: WigWag
  Thank you. If the ballast were to "see" a slightly longer tube would that be ok for the tubes themselves.
According to something I heard today these appliance tubes normally operate on preheat ballasts and the worst that would happen on rapid start would be somewhat slightly lower life.

These are normally preheat...instant-start will shorten the lifespan, but RS shouldn't have much effect (programmed start would work well too since it pre-heats the filaments before starting).
Seeing the spec's funkybulb posted, these would just be a 30" tube to the ballast.
They should be fine on RS, but as he mentioned they might take a bit longer to start on a (magnetic) RS ballast...electronic RS won't have that issue

----
I also remembered something last night: I've actually got a pair of 30" F25T12 aquarium lamps. I'm pretty sure I used a 2xF40 magnetic RS when I tested them (don't remember exactly what, but I know it worked fine. might have been a bit slow to start, but its been well too long for me to remember, gonna look & see if I fave a pic & any notes from the test.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies