Author Topic: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California?  (Read 2038 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « on: February 03, 2022, 07:18:49 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
While working at contractors’ warehouse, I was told by a customer that pulse start metal halide fixtures were banned in the US state of California. I also found that pulse start metal halide fixtures were also banned in California as well after checking Grainger’s website:

https://www.grainger.com/product/LITHONIA-LIGHTING-HID-Ballast-Housing-3JWJ2?cpnuser=undefined&searchBar=true&searchQuery=TH400MPTBSCWAHAHSG&suggestConfigId=6

Shown above is a listing for a Lithonia 400w M135/M155 pulse start metal halide high bay fixture housing.

Here is the website information about the California pulse start metal halide fixture ban:

This item has been restricted from sale in the following states: California

Does anyone know if new pulse start metal halide fixtures are actually illegal to sell in the US state of California?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 07:56:41 PM » Author: Econolite03
California sucks.
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 08:02:51 PM » Author: High Intensity
I tried to do a bit of digging, but couldn't find much, other than an article about CA considering requiring all indoor weed grower to replace all of their HID grow lights with LEDs by 2023, but I couldn't find anything about PSMH fixtures being banned in general, but it honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point if they did.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 08:05:38 PM » Author: Econolite03
Well, what has California not banned yet?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:07:40 PM by Econolite03 » Logged
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 08:11:23 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
LEDs..? :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 08:16:57 PM » Author: joseph_125
Not surprised to be honest. They also had more special regulations to lighting in recent years compared to other states. Maybe it's xcovered under the Title 20 or Title 24 regulations.

Not lighting related but the number of "Known to the State of Califonia to cause cancer" signs I saw there in pretty much every establishment struck me as odd.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 08:38:33 PM » Author: Econolite03
LEDs..? :mrg:
Bingo!

@Joe: Exactly, and they banned straws as well.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 11:44:17 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Well, what has California not banned yet?
Washers and dryers that aren't HE rated...

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 12:10:16 AM » Author: joseph_125
That's interesting. I remember a few years ago I was looking into a new washer and every one at Lowe's here was a HE style. I was hoping to find a traditional top loader but it turns out those weren't really made anymore. I ended up repairing the old washer that was acting up instead.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 12:42:57 AM » Author: tolivac
California stupidity strikes again!Have them know that some CMH"pulse start" CMH lamps and ballasts have BETTER lumens per watt than LED!
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 02:35:32 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Even then, those ceramic metal halide lamps are still likely to be discontinued and banned in many countries because of their “inefficiency” compared to LED lighting.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 10:15:02 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Even though CMH lamps do in some cases have higher LPW than LED . The discontinuations and bans are more due to the fact that the MH , CMH , HPS & fluorescent lamps contain mercury . That being said , while the LEDs don't contain mercury , they DO contain lead , arsenic  & other toxic substances . Honestly , I don't think there will ever be a completely "green" , 100% harmless lighting solution !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 10:24:03 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It seems like in the 2030s, LED lighting will dominate the world in the same way that incandescent lighting dominated the world in the 1920s.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 10:27:48 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Unless someone invents something else even more "green" .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Pulse Start metal halide fixtures banned in California? « Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 08:33:12 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, and I think incandescent and discharge based sources would still be around in the 2030s for some niche applications.

Even during the heyday of incandescent in the 1920s, sources like carbon arc were still used for some niche applications, search lights and cinema projectors used carbon arcs for a lot longer after incandescent took over for general lighting. I think for those two applications carbon arc remained in use until the 1960s when xenon arc took over.

As for LED, I have the feeling by the 2030s there will be a new technology being marketed by the lighting companies as more green than LEDs
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies