Author Topic: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up?  (Read 1569 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « on: February 06, 2022, 11:57:48 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After knowing that SOX low pressure sodium lamps must never be operated base down since the accumulated sodium would eat away the seals at the electrodes, I am well aware that SOX low pressure sodium lamps between 18w and 55w can be safely operated base up in addition to being operated horizontally like most SOX low pressure sodium lamps. I am starting to wonder what would happen to 90w, 135w, and 180w SOX low pressure sodium lamps if they were operated base up instead of horizontal as intended assuming they are used in secure lampholders and are adequately supported.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 05:52:08 PM » Author: ElectroLite
I'd guess that the sodium metal will gradually drip down to the "U" bend of the arc tube, potentially clogging it up (or narrowing it enough to build up heat). If not that, I'd assume that the influx of sodium at one end of the lamp would prevent proper warm-up due to uneven sodium distribution. It isn't really an issue on small lamps, but on larger lamps I'd imagine it being problematic.

Just my thoughts.
exexcollega

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 05:57:39 PM » Author: exexcollega
I can give it a try with an old 180 watt bulb. I guess it is not as harmful as using them base down.
FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 06:05:53 PM » Author: FrontSideBus
AFAIK 135 to 180 were horizontal only. Not sure on the the 90 though.

Bulbs are for planting: Lamps are for lighting!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 08:04:40 PM » Author: Rommie
IIRC all the Osram-GEC "SuperSOX" range were supposed to be able to operate base up, right up to the 180W ones. Not sure I'd want to try it, though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 07:00:04 PM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 01:34:21 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I had to run one of my 135w SOX base up for about an hour as all of the sodium was accumulated around the electrodes. I'd assume the previous owner had run it base down . The sodium didn't pool in the bend .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 07:00:55 PM » Author: Rommie
It probably wouldn't for that length of time. Try it for a week and you might notice it.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 08:14:55 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I ran it just enough to get all of the sodium from the electrodes .  :lps:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 12:01:04 AM » Author: icefoglights
The sodium in an LPS lamp will condense in the coldest parts of the lamp.  When a long lamp is run vertically base up, that would be the U bend at the bottom.  Over time (many hours and probably many cycles too) there won't be enough sodium spread throughout the arc tube to allow for an even sodium discharge.  The lamp would become a "red burner", only glowing from the neon in the tube with a little sodium glow from the U bend area.  I don't think it hurts the lamp in the long run but would result in the light not doing its job when in actual service.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 06:36:53 AM » Author: Rommie
As I said, the Osram/GEC "Super SOX" range were quoted in the literature as being able to run base up for all ratings, but personally I wouldn't want to do it.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 08:15:30 AM » Author: dor123
Running the higher wattage LPS lamps base-up will result in the sodium migrating to the center of the tube, so that at the end, only the argon-neon will be ionized, so argon clean-up by the borate glass will be accelerated, eventually result in a lamp that unable to start.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 08:45:41 AM » Author: Rommie
Theoretically.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 09:12:49 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It would seem that GEC added something to the chemical mix to allow the larger wattage of lamps to be run base up.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 09:17:04 AM » Author: Rommie
That's a possibility, we'd need someone more knowledgeable about the actual manufacturing processes they used for those lamps to be sure.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Running 90w+ SOX low pressure sodium lamps base up? « Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 02:37:59 PM » Author: AngryHorse
It wouldn’t affect either the 180 or 135 GEC versions as GEC used the least amount of sodium for lamps that size anyway!
There was only Philips that ‘overdosed’ the sodium metal in their lamps for some reason?, even Thorn made 90 and 135 watt SOX only had one ‘pea’ size amount of sodium in them.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies