Author Topic: Will ballast bypass LED lamps get damaged if they are used on magnetic ballasts?  (Read 999 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Will ballast bypass LED lamps get damaged if they are used on magnetic ballasts? « on: February 17, 2022, 12:58:52 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As I have seen that some European LED retrofit tubes are designed for both operation on electromagnetic preheat fluorescent tube ballasts and direct mains voltage, I am starting to wonder whether North American “ballast bypass” LED retrofit tubes for fluorescent fixtures and “ballast bypass” LED retrofit lamps for HID fixtures will get damaged if used on electromagnetic ballasts that provide an OCV that matches their rated mains voltage even if fluorescent starters and HID ignitors are cut out of the equation. I would like to see if anyone knows anything about this.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

musictomyeyes

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will ballast bypass LED lamps get damaged if they are used on magnetic ballasts? « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 07:52:42 PM » Author: musictomyeyes
"It depends."  Maybe or maybe not, bi-pin retrofits vary.
Slimline (Fa8 base) should "just work".
A rapid start ballast could be damaged by a retrofit LED faux-fluorescent tube.  Some LED retrofits have shorted/shunted/tied-equipotent base bi-pins, which could over-conduct, overload, rapid start heater windings.

Given your conditions (matching OCV, not-rapid start, sans starters and igniters), a retrofit tube should tolerate and operate correctly.  Says I: I opine, the faux-fluorescent retrofit should tolerate transients and brownouts; otherwise, it is a lousy article, unfit for purpose, a waste of our planet.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will ballast bypass LED lamps get damaged if they are used on magnetic ballasts? « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 09:41:56 AM » Author: funkybulb
  On RS it good way to take out heating transformer section
And it wont light

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will ballast bypass LED lamps get damaged if they are used on magnetic ballasts? « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 11:21:30 AM » Author: Medved
If the LED supply voltage matches the ballast OCV, plus given the LEDs operate at less than 1/2 power than the original discharge, the chance for the LEDs to work well are very high.
The question is, how the ballasts tolerate the nearly open load condition for long periods of time. Some topologies may result into primary overheating or higher than rated mains current draw (so overcurrent issues in the installation). Mainly the high power factor ones may be problematic in this way.

No more selfballasted c***

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Will ballast bypass LED lamps get damaged if they are used on magnetic ballasts? « Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 08:23:17 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I feel that as long as the lamp tube dedicated to magnetic ballasts can ensure life expectancy, ordinary double-terminal tubes must not be connected and are easy to break down. :veolfl: :veolfl:

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies