Author Topic: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties?  (Read 1719 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « on: February 25, 2022, 12:56:04 AM » Author: 108CAM
I'm wondering what the best way to ask about salvaging lights that look abandoned. I have never done this before and my parents are reluctant to help me because they think that going up to someone and asking them if I can have a light fixture is odd behaviour and will get me in trouble.
Here's the story of events leading up to this. A few years ago, I found an old fluorescent street light fitting in a trash pile however it was missing a part and trying to find one online would be next to impossible due to age. More recently, I went to a second hand goods store and while I was walking out after looking, I saw the part I need to complete my light fixed to a column. I really want to ask the owners if I can have the part so I can fix my light but I don't know what to say to them. I've also never asked someone for a light before and want to know the best way to do it.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 10:17:41 AM » Author: Rommie
I'd try and find out who the land/property owner is, and just ask politely, are you willing to part with that lamp, fixture or whatever it is. Tell them you're a lighting collector, maybe tell them about LG, and that you're interested in it for your collection. Ask them if they'd be willing to sell it.

Don't ask for it for free, you never know, they might just offer it to you.

If they ask too high a price, just say 'OK' and walk away, it's not worth getting into an argument over, and you don't want to be seen to be begging, that never goes down well.

Above all, be polite. Oh, and never just take stuff. Depending on the local laws where you are, it could well be seen as theft.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:21:01 AM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 10:50:20 AM » Author: Econolite03
Well said Ria.

Another thing to be prepared for is if the owner says “no”. Some owners might be simply hesitant or just aren’t interested, so keep that in mind just in case. But yeah a small business is a good start.

Now on Linktree

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:32:05 PM » Author: 108CAM
It's not a full fixture I'm after, It's actually the part missing from my AJ Ferguson Zodiac
The top photo is my fixture and the bottom one is a Google street view image of the part I need for my light
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:34:19 PM by 108CAM » Logged

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

1925-2002

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 10:40:15 PM » Author: 108CAM
I'd try and find out who the land/property owner is, and just ask politely, are you willing to part with that lamp, fixture or whatever it is. Tell them you're a lighting collector, maybe tell them about LG, and that you're interested in it for your collection. Ask them if they'd be willing to sell it.

Don't ask for it for free, you never know, they might just offer it to you.

If they ask too high a price, just say 'OK' and walk away, it's not worth getting into an argument over, and you don't want to be seen to be begging, that never goes down well.

Above all, be polite. Oh, and never just take stuff. Depending on the local laws where you are, it could well be seen as theft.
I've been to the place a few times and the item I want is still attached to the building and that's another issue to consider

1925-2002

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 05:22:46 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, we've had the same issue. The only SOX fixtures anywhere near us are on the side of a small office building. They have not been seen to light up in 25+ years, but look in excellent condition, see here.

However despite trying to make contact with the owners, we have never had any response, so it doesn't look like we'll ever get them  :(  :lps:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 06:14:30 PM » Author: 108CAM
Today I'll be going back to the place where the item in question is and asking about it
Fingers crossed that everything works out.

1925-2002

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 03:55:42 AM » Author: 108CAM
I asked and unfortunately I couldn't get it
I hope I can find one because my Zodiac is useless without it 

1925-2002

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 05:38:35 AM » Author: Rommie
Awww, that's a shame  :'(

I assume they either weren't interested or flat out refused..?

Hope you find one soon  :love:

waterbug

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 05:55:24 AM » Author: waterbug
I think the easiest method to obtain something is by offering money bro, I will tell them what I want from them and why I need them, I wouldn't actually cared what they will think of me, because that's not what I was trying to accomplish. This is child's play compare to walking up to a girl and asking her out, bro.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 06:06:18 AM » Author: Rommie
Possibly, but don't just go in there waving cash about, it doesn't create a good impression, and you do want to do that. You never know, you might want something else from them some day.

As I said earlier, above all, be polite. You might not care what they think of you personally, but it won't help you or anyone if they get a bad impression of collectors in general.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 12:24:39 AM » Author: 108CAM
Awww, that's a shame  :'(

I assume they either weren't interested or flat out refused..?

Hope you find one soon  :love:
No, it was because the people I asked rent the building and don’t actually own it.

1925-2002

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 06:21:39 AM » Author: Rommie
Ah, ok. Can't they put you in touch with the owners..?

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How do you go about asking people for lights on their properties? « Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 09:20:45 PM » Author: 108CAM
That may not work either. The tenants told me they have been wanting the owner to move some of their things and they won't even do that.

1925-2002

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies