Author Topic: transformer and variac...  (Read 2572 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
transformer and variac... « on: November 03, 2006, 12:52:58 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
While I was looking for a variac....someone gave me an idea....to make it to 240 volts...now I want to know if it will actually work or not....

but heres an idea....I would get a 140 volt max variac
then use a 120 to 240 step up transformer plugged in to the variac and I would lower the variac....would it lower the 240 volts step up to...maybe for example to 180 volts or so??? will that work???

let me know...thanks

-Jace

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: transformer and variac... « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 05:06:42 PM » Author: don93s
Yes, you could connect the 0-140v out from variac to the 120v input of the 120/240v transformer. However, if you cranked it all the way to 140v, it might cause something to overheat and the transformer would put out 280 volts.
It's a 1:2 ratio for voltage. If the variac is set for 90 volts, then the transformer will put out 180. Give or take a few.

The current will have to be monitored carefully though. If the load is drawing 2 amps from the transformer...then the variac has to put out 4 amps. At least double. Plus, add 10 to 15% for transformer losses.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies