Author Topic: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED?  (Read 2566 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « on: March 01, 2022, 09:36:52 PM » Author: 108CAM
This question popped into my mind while I was thinking about ways to overcome my fear of exploding metal halide bulbs.
Obviously my least favourite lamp type that isn't LED would have to be metal halide due to the risk of them exploding and the confusion with finding the correct bulb for the fixture in order to avoid a mis-lamp.   

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 18
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 15
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 09:38:31 PM » Author: Econolite03
Halogen…

Now on Linktree

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 12:02:13 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Seconded.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

**If anyone wants to learn more about any company or product you've never heard of before, do please leave a comment saying so on one of my gallery pictures or by PM, and I'd be happy to give a thorough explanation.**

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 01:44:25 AM » Author: joseph_125
I think the CFL PAR and BR reflector lamps of the 2000s for me. They were made in various formats from PAR 38 to GU10 and even a 12v MR16 version.

Most seemed to take longer to warmup compared to regular spiral CFLs and the beam they produced wasn't defined due to the relatively large light source in a small reflector. They also didn't fully fit in some of the more compact fixtures since they were slightly larger than the halogen PAR and incandecent reflector lamps. I don't think they were that popular as most homeowners just kept using halogen PAR lamps and most shopkeepers retrofitted to low wattage ceramic metal halide instead.   
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 02:25:01 PM » Author: Flurofan96
For me its halogen - especially for stage lighting because of how hot and glary they can get. The only LED application I can approve is for stage lighting

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 10:18:04 AM » Author: Silverliner
HPS.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 10:32:49 AM » Author: AngryHorse
This is difficult to answer I don’t actually have a least favourite?, but I would say induction?, now don’t misunderstand me, I don’t hate induction in any way, but to me, even today, I still see them as glorified CFLs?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 10:45:40 AM » Author: Rommie
This question popped into my mind while I was thinking about ways to overcome my fear of exploding metal halide bulbs.
Obviously my least favourite lamp type that isn't LED would have to be metal halide due to the risk of them exploding and the confusion with finding the correct bulb for the fixture in order to avoid a mis-lamp.

I've never understood this. As long as you relamp fixtures well before projected EOL then there is little or no risk of explosion. If you use lamps rated for open fixtures, with the shield around the arc tube, there is even less risk.

As to the question, I would have to answer none; if it's not LED, it's ok with me  ;D
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 11:48:03 AM » Author: Cole D.
Personally I'm not big on halogen tube type bulbs. I think it's because of all you heard about them causing fires in those torchiere lamps. Also my neighbor used to have one over their driveway and said it was always burning out, they replaced it with a MV bucket light, Regent.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 01:18:42 AM » Author: 108CAM
I'm also not much of a fan of halogen lamps, specifically the tubular kind used in floodlights because the lamps can be rendered unusable before you even put it inside the fixture if you happen to touch it with bare hands.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 18
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 15
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 07:18:27 AM » Author: Rommie
Easy solution to that one, don't touch it with bare hands..! I never do that with any lamp if I can avoid it, for a start I don't like fingerprints on the glass, so I've got into the habit of using a pair of light cotton gloves when handling lamps.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 12:28:21 PM » Author: Econolite03
Another easy solution is to throw the lamp and their fixture in the trash.

Now on Linktree

Rommie
Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 12:34:54 PM » Author: Rommie
If it's LED, yeah, otherwise it's a bit strong  :mrg:
exexcollega

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 04:23:33 PM » Author: exexcollega
I would say there is a difference between low voltage and high voltage halogen. I have better experience with low voltage halogens, some seem to last forever. But mains halogen lamps always break down.
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: What's your least favourite type of lamp that's not LED? « Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 04:34:17 PM » Author: Flurofan96
For me it be clear halogen eco bulbs and halogen stage lighting because of the glare and high heat output (stage lighting)

When I had my first concert performance with the youth orchestra back in around Sep 2008, it was a sensory challenge because I had to dress up in all black formal clothing. The concert venue was The Hexagon in Reading town centre, still here to this day. It has seen LED upgrading since my last visit in Nov 2014 with the youth orchestra but still the halogen stage lighting remained

My only fave types of halogen bulbs are the coated eco ones which appeared briefly in 2008 and 2009 by Philips and even Osram. The HalogenA series are my favourite non eco type of halogen bulbs   

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies