Author Topic: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection  (Read 1252 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « on: March 18, 2022, 07:57:20 PM » Author: 108CAM
I know that this may be hard for some of you to answer but this question came to me when I accidently smashed my pink Toshiba F40T10 fluorescent tube.
It could be a special bulb burning out, The cap breaking off the glass envelope, A rare fixture getting replaced with LED, or perhaps the thing that's happened to many of us at least once, accidently dropping or smashing a special or rare light bulb.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 08:41:48 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For Ria and myself it has to be the loss of 'Thomas'  :'(

I wrote a poem dedicated to him at the time, and I thought it was on the message boards somewhere.  :wndr:

But here it is again:

Our oldest lamp filled up with smoke
Poor Thomas has gone and broke
There was the sound of a crack
Now we’ll never get him back
At nearly 70 years old
They’re no longer sold

At the time of writing he was our oldest blub but now we've got older ones in our collection.  :love:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Bean
Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 09:00:41 PM » Author: Bean
Throwing away some of my first bulbs ever.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 10:13:09 PM » Author: Lumex120
I found out today that the garage I had to keep all my streetlights in over the winter flooded and then froze. I can't get to them right now, but most of my street light fixtures ended up at least partially underwater so their ballasts are probably ruined. Kind of thinking I'm just going to quit collecting after this, I'm still a bit shocked it happened.

Unofficial LG Discord

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 10:49:12 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Including the MH 115?
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:50:37 PM » Author: Lumex120
That and the 50w HPS one was high enough up on a shelf it was alright, the rest of them though I don't know.

Unofficial LG Discord

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 11:21:42 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
At least those might be good.
thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 12:20:26 AM » Author: thelightingman
The ballast wires became exposed on my vintage 3 lamp preheat F40T12 light, now I have to replace all of the wires and that's gonna be hard. I also have to replace the capacitor in the ballast as it also went bad. I plan to put 2 of my 1970's vintage rapid start ballasts in it for now as I don't have any other preheat ballasts. It sucks but when I have the time, I am gonna repair the ballast.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 01:19:38 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
When I realised that the optic style of traffic signals can't run the halogen lamps they were designed to use for extended on times, followed by extended off times, as the unit is sealed and thermal expansion cracks the lens.  >:( (on the roads the lamps are either not on long enough, or off long enough for it to be an issue)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Saddest thing that's happened to something in your collection « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 07:15:43 PM » Author: Econolite03
When the original refractor on my M-250R2 was totaled by SmashEx years ago.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies