Author Topic: How to test a fluorescent ballast with a multimeter  (Read 873 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
How to test a fluorescent ballast with a multimeter « on: March 28, 2022, 12:09:52 AM » Author: 108CAM
I have a fluorescent ballast that I need to test but I don't want to power it up because it may go bang.
I'm wondering if it's possible to test it with a multimeter?

If not, I'll attach a long cable and install tubes that I'm not fussed about accidently blowing up and turn it on from a distance so that if it does fail, I'm safe. I will also do it outside so the house doesn't get filled with the smell of burning electronics

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: How to test a fluorescent ballast with a multimeter « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 03:18:52 AM » Author: 108CAM
Update: I decided to power test it and guess what? It worked perfectly first try!
Any info on how to test with a multimeter would still be great for the future.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to test a fluorescent ballast with a multimeter « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 01:32:44 PM » Author: Medved
Good way to test it is to connect it in series with an incandescent of about double power rating and then measure the voltages and mains currents.
With series choke the bulb should light about half of the power, the ratio between the voltage across the ballast and the current should be similar to the mains divided by the rated current.
With transformer ballasts (North America) the bulb should light dimly or not at all.
If this passes, the ballast won't go ka-boom that quickly, so it is safe to try with the rated fluorescent.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies