Author Topic: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns?  (Read 1829 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « on: April 25, 2022, 10:59:45 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After knowing that dark sky areas of the USA such as San Diego, CA and Flagstaff, AZ often utilized SOX low pressure sodium street lighting and outdoor lighting to minimize light pollution, I am starting to wonder if any of these US cities had any British SOX low pressure sodium street lanterns in use such as the Thorn Beta 5, the Thorn Gamma 6 or the Thorn Alpha 4.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 12:40:21 AM » Author: tolivac
I have a 35W LPS light-(wallpack)both were from Philips Lighting.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 12:44:13 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The main question is whether any British street lanterns were used in Flagstaff and San Diego and NOT about any purely North American fixtures. I am only looking at STREET lanterns that were imported from the UK but using local ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

yuandrew

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 03:23:58 AM » Author: yuandrew
Although not in the light pollution controlled zones around Palomar observatory; near the bottom of CA hwy 330/City Creek Rd is an underground water reservoir that is lit with what appear to be 35 watt LPS Gamma 6 post lights. There are three of them, one by the gate and another two by the reservoir itself. I recall only two were working the last time I passed by on the way up to Big Bear Lake.

34.1443595,-117.1901367

34.1449842,-117.1897875

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 03:24:13 PM » Author: High Intensity
There used to be a few Thorn Alpha 4s in San Jose before the major LED change-out.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 04:08:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
I spotted a lone Gamma 6 in San Diego. I think it was something like 35w SOX.

IIRC the company North Star Lighting was the American distributor for Thorn Lighting.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 07:05:03 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Thing is With North Star lighting
 Some of Sox stuff had to be redesigned a bit to fit the american light poles and american made Sox ballast.  Rest is Imported
 Such as sockets and bowls and lamps. I have Thorn Sox 55er (beta 2) That have two inch mounting as UK lantern use smaller mounting
To arms.  Gamma 6 are completely imported in with out  ballast
This same way with Son paks .

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Did any American dark sky areas ever make use of British LPS lanterns? « Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 04:56:54 AM » Author: Silverliner
I am the proud owner of a Thorn Alpha 4 135w SOX. Almost the same as the UK versions, just modified slightly to accept US ballasts and slipfitters. I also have seen lots of GEC SOX lights in San Jose. I know about the Thorn Gamma 6s in San Diego still a few down there.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies