Author Topic: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023  (Read 1833 times)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « on: April 26, 2022, 02:57:24 PM » Author: High Intensity
News Link. Looks like our options are about to become more limited here in the USA.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 05:20:03 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Better start slowly stocking up on what you need, its 1995 and 2008 all over again. :-\

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 05:46:06 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Ah classic  ::). Of course they think of some bs on carbon emissions. All so the Liberal Eye Destroyers (LED) can become more common. I think this violates the first amendment.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 06:29:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
At this late in the game considering most people have adopted LED for other reasons, I don't really see the point in further lamp bans, especially for residential oriented lamps such as these. But I guess it does make for a good show that they're "doing something".  ::)

Of interest, if you skip the article and read the full text of the regulation. It seems like they didn't redefine the definition of "General Service Lamp" which means types that were previously exempt - appliance, traffic signal, left hand thread, etc are still exempt under the new regulations. 
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 12:50:00 PM » Author: rjluna2
Apparently, this was beat by this Say Goodbye to Incandescent Light Bulbs :poof:

What can these poor people who needs flicker free light bulb due to their medical condition ???

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 02:04:11 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Honestly, I won't miss halogen; the newer ones at least. I have had frequent issues with the MR16's; had three in the kitchen sink, and all three died within a year. However, I will miss the low wattage capsules, if they're not exempt.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 02:13:05 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

MVMH_99

View Posts
View Gallery

Nothin' Like Clear MV...

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 05:42:11 PM » Author: MVMH_99
Ahhh, that sucks!  But hey, at least we can get relatively inexpensive (and dimmable) LED "retrofit" lamps for our nice kitchen pendant lights and bathroom fixtures...  Plus, one is starting to corrode due to moisture and our clueless workers f'd up the threads on one of the other ones, so no huge loss as we go about our soon-to-start house rewiring project. 

I agree that targeting those dumb little halogens doesn't make the most sense in the world - those 150W+ incandescent lamps seem like a much more reasonable thing to go after.  I also agree wholeheartedly that this seems kind of "nit-picky."  Seriously, do our elected officials really not have anything better to focus on? 

I'd better stop before I go down a "rabbit hole" and initiate yet another "flame war" here!   ;) :lol:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - let old lighting LIVE!

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 07:21:01 PM » Author: High Intensity
I will agree with the sentiment that there are no good halogen bulbs made anymore, the last decent ones that I had found were the US-made GE double life halogen bulbs, but I think those have since been discontinued.
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 03:34:47 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
Considering China's national conditions, this ban should be understood by most people, because the halogen lighting effect is too low, the life expectancy is too short, and the temperature is too high. But from my personal point of view, I obviously disagree. Because its eye protection effect is unattainable by other lamps. At present, in China, the LED color rendering index with the highest color rendering index is 99, but the actual measured color rendering index is less than 98. In other words, even the highest-end LED in China cannot completely restore natural light. Another issue is the price. Normal led bulb price of a color rendering index of 80 is below 10 pieces. Do you think it's cheap? In fact, the average price of bulbs with a true color rendering index of 98 is above ¥150/$22.07 (at today's exchange rate). The price of a halogen lamp is only about 2 US dollars, so in fact, the economy of halogen lamps is much higher than that of LEDs.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 04:29:02 AM » Author: Econolite03
I’m not surprised.

Now on Linktree

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 06:27:52 AM » Author: Rommie
Ban this, ban that, ban the other, same old, same old. Good job we have enough stock of incandescent and halogen to see us out.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 03:58:31 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Well , 2023 is basically over and halogens are still available !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 04:00:55 PM » Author: Rommie
Depends where you are, they can be hard to find in some places. Certainly none on retail sale here, only eBay and similar  :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 04:03:52 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 One question : IF a complete , outright ban on halogen does occur , what about automotive headlights ??

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: US to Ban Halogen Bulbs By 2023 « Reply #14 on: December 23, 2023, 03:43:50 AM » Author: RRK
If that ban finally materializes, there certainly will be many loopholes for special application lamps.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies