Author Topic: The worst thing  (Read 8230 times)
Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

The worst thing « on: December 13, 2009, 09:55:19 PM » Author: Alights
What is the worst lighting-related thing you have ever done? Ex: fried ballast, hooked HID lamp to line volt.....
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The worst thing « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 01:27:02 AM » Author: Medved
Hooked fluorescent filament directly to 230V mains - i was about 12...

No more selfballasted c***

RCM
Re: The worst thing « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:56:59 AM » Author: RCM
Hooked one end of a a Philips ALTO 34 watt lamp up to 120 volts on purpose, made a purple flash at the end and the lamp didn't light anymore!  ;D
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: The worst thing « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:44:39 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Hooked one end of a a Philips ALTO 34 watt lamp up to 120 volts on purpose, made a purple flash at the end and the lamp didn't light anymore!  ;D

Copycat LOL! Except that I plugged mine on a F40 RS ballast's transformer. I connected one of the cathode heating windings to the main and the biggest coil to the lamp, maybe it shot a few hundred of volts... LOL

RCM
Re: The worst thing « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:41:21 PM » Author: RCM
Mine tripped the circuit breaker!
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The worst thing « Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:52:18 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Wow, I was wind of lucky, only some blackening on the floor from all the sparks, and in the connectors LOL. The breaker didn't trip because the transformer's wires melted from the surge!

RCM
Re: The worst thing « Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 11:19:01 PM » Author: RCM
and what happened to the tube?  ;D
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: The worst thing « Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 11:46:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
I also did something similar to what Vince and Rudy did I applied 24V directly to the filament of a F8T5 tube. The tube flashed brightly on that end and the filament was completely blown off of the lead wires ;D . Good thing the lamp was just a modern cheap GE.
Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: The worst thing « Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 11:57:13 PM » Author: Alights
The worst thing I did was run a 28W 4ft T5 on a F20 preheat ballast, and it ruined the lamp so it didn't work on the correct ballast, then I put it on a single lamp motorola F32T8 ballast and fried the ballast!
Fox Mantra

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips Sl Comfort best bulbs

Re: The worst thing « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:08:39 PM » Author: Fox Mantra
3 things i guess. 
was at work in my old work place woolies, and in the stockroom on my own, and we had these two types of fluorescent lights mini 8w fixtures and 80w ones, when know one was looking i changed the 5 starters round, as in a 80w fixture i put in a starter only made for only 4-65w,
turned them back on, and 4 out of the 5 fixtures started to flicker and stayed flickering was good to watch, but could ruin the whole thing, as the starters made it flicker as wrong Wattage. 

When i was a kid was messing about with my bedroom 8w Magnetic fixture and starter inside it, as i have to take the metal case off to change the starter i took the bulb out but forgot to turn it off, as i removes the starter the built up electricity well went through me instead so i got like 230v shck through my body xd. 

The other story is me smashing my next door neighbours kitching light by turning it on and off rabidly like mad, it made the ballast blow up i was switching it so quickly xd.
It went bang, i made them change it too spotlights boring when thy took the fixture out.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:12:27 PM by Fox Mantra » Logged

Techno, Lightning, PS3, Lights, Furry, Random bloke.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: The worst thing « Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 02:06:18 AM » Author: Silverliner
Ruined a GE 75w mercury lamp on the 120v mains back in the 80s. Also ran flashlight bulbs on 120v, all turned black and fused to the sockets!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The worst thing « Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:09 PM » Author: Foxtronix
and what happened to the tube?  ;D

Same as yours, bright purple flashes at the ends, and the tube was "ruined" (Hey it was only an ALTO LOL).

I blew many flashlight bulbs, but never on the 120V, I guess I was too afraid of what would happen LOL.

Oh BTW I have somewhere the video of the ALTO being blown, should I post it on YouTube?

RCM
Re: The worst thing « Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:26 AM » Author: RCM
I'd love to see it if you could find it! :D
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The worst thing « Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 05:39:45 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Not now, my account on YouTube (M400APowrDoor) got deleted for no reason  ??? I wait to be able to create another one, then I should send it  ;D

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: The worst thing « Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 07:00:35 PM » Author: lightman64
I once put a  cheap incandescant on my friend's variac and kicked the voltage up until it exploded and I was cut by flying glass!

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies