Author Topic: Wiring up 240v street lanterns in North America without using transformers  (Read 1186 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Wiring up 240v street lanterns in North America without using transformers « on: May 01, 2022, 09:45:52 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If anyone has any 240v street lanterns in a North America, this video from LightDragon might be super helpful:

https://youtu.be/PGKAkaP0Lls

I am also wondering if North American street lanterns designed for split phase 240v mains can work off single phase 240v mains or step up transformers with 240v secondaries. I have seen that some members have been able to get some European fixtures working off North American split phase 240v mains in some cases such as a Thorn Beta 5.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wiring up 240v street lanterns in North America without using transformers « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 02:20:05 PM » Author: joseph_125
Another decent way if you have a easily accessible 240v outlet (Dryer, Range, Welder, EV charger) is to get a cord with the matching plug, wire it to a fused disconnect fused at 15A or below and then wire it to the fixture or a NEMA 6-15 outlet. The fused disconnect is for safety, it provides a easy way to shut off power to the light and it also provides a lower rated fuse protection for a smaller load. Most of the 240v circuits I mentioned are protected at 30A-50A usually. Way to high for just testing a light.   
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wiring up 240v street lanterns in North America without using transformers « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 12:20:39 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
That's exactly how I test my 240v lights .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wiring up 240v street lanterns in North America without using transformers « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:24:21 AM » Author: funkybulb
  Also some High BTU window unit will have 240 volt outlet that rated 15 amp outlet a cord and double pole light switch. 

But Living in APT can be much harder to get 240 volt.  But usually
 Not acessable cause it behind the stove U might get lucky if u in
 APT with a laundry closet.  And APT lease the stackabe washer and
 Dryer to tentants.  That might be freed up if it not leased .  Anothef good place to check if you have a hot water heater closet
 With a 30 amp 240 volt outlet.   Get one of older edison Base Fused
 Disconnet.  U can buy fuses for them as low as 6-10 Amps,

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies