Author Topic: Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly?  (Read 731 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly? « on: May 13, 2022, 12:52:36 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After knowing that high pressure sodium ignitors and pulse start metal halide ignitors like semiparallel ignitors and superimposed ignitors generate high voltage pulses ranging from 2,500v to 5,000v, is their voltage high enough to be considered “lethal”?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly? « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 01:00:16 PM » Author: dor123
Yes. This is why you should never replace lamps with the power on.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly? « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 01:25:27 PM » Author: Medved
It is not that much the 2kV from the ignitor itself, but the 200+V from the ballast that will jolt you. The ignitor HV pulse may breakdown the air when you are "just not touching it" (2kV may jump across 1mm, when some sharp corner gets involved), so form a conductive path through the air for that 230V to zap you.

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly? « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 02:17:05 PM » Author: Rommie
It's current more than voltage which will kill you. 1000V DC from a Megger insulation resistance tester at 1mA will give you a jolt, but it won't kill you. Touching even a 120V live wire might, though.

In short, don't mess with electricity.

https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/how-many-volts-amps-kill-you-human.html

https://portablepowerguides.com/can-voltage-kill-you/

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly? « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 06:40:04 PM » Author: RCM442
Remember, it's not the volts or the amps that kill you! It's the wall you get thrown into when you touch it!  :'-)

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly? « Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 08:30:53 PM » Author: 108CAM
Some safety precautions you can take include:
1. Ensure the fixture is properly grounded/earthed so that any electrical leakage is discharged safely
2. Check the wires for any damage to the insulation and if needed, replace with wire of the same rating
3. Inspect the ignitor for any signs of damage
4. Keeping a safe distance away from the fixture during testing

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are ignitors for PSMH and HPS lamps deadly? « Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 02:19:37 AM » Author: Michael
And one advise from me, don’t ever put the leads of multimeters or other voltage detectors on the lamp wire between ignitor and lamp socket when it’s on! I had one which broke voltage detector after one guy tried to measure on a HPS lamp socket while it was still energized.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies