Author Topic: Japanese 100V CFLs  (Read 839 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Japanese 100V CFLs « on: May 14, 2022, 11:44:17 AM » Author: Patrick
Do any of you know how 100V 50/60Hz electronic self-ballasted CFLs from Japan would perform on 120V 60Hz?  Would a 100V transformer/converter be needed to avoid burning out the ballast?

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Japanese 100V CFLs « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 12:42:13 PM » Author: dor123
Electronic CFLs can works on both 50-60hz, but can't work on wide range of mains voltage like programmed start electronic ballasts, so I think the ballast may be overdriven.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Japanese 100V CFLs « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 01:54:45 PM » Author: Rommie
The frequency shouldn't be a problem, but over-voltage may be. I always run things like this (220V lamps and ballasts) from either the Variac or a small step-down transformer, I have one rated at 150W that was designed to allow Japanese 200V ballasts to run on 220-230V, it works well stepping our higher 245V down to 220V or so.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Japanese 100V CFLs « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 02:23:21 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
For safety’s sake, I would recommend using the lamp on a variac set to 100v since the electronic ballasts do not mind the frequency as much as magnetic ballasts use. I do have some Japanese 100v 50hz/60hz electronic ballasts intended for 2 FPL36 CFL lamps that I have not energized yet because I do not want to risk destroying them on 120v mains.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 02:35:31 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Japanese 100V CFLs « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 02:42:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
Another option if you plan to do this often is to get a transformer and wire it for a buck configuration. According to the instructions, that particular model transformer can handle 800VA wired in a 120 > 100v buck configuration.

Now if you're just hoping to run a single CFL, you can get lower wattage models that are prewired and are only around the size of a small power brick.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Japanese 100V CFLs « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 04:41:49 PM » Author: funkybulb
U can take any control transformer from a Junk A/c unit as most are
 120 to 24 volts.  Most around 40 VA that is perfect for japan CFLs
  All you got do is wire them as buck transformer drop it down to 96
  Volts.   Unless u have a older outdated electric service from the 1920s  it might put out 110 volt.  But some electronic CFLs  can take higher voltage but it can be risky .  If not I have hundreds of those 120 to 24volt transformer.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Japanese 100V CFLs « Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 11:13:29 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I have an electronic ballast fluorescent bulb from NEC (nominal 15W 100V 50/60Hz) and I use the 220V to 110V transformer I bought to run it. The measured power is 16W, and there is almost no overcurrent.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies