Author Topic: Does any one on here like street scrapping?  (Read 1037 times)
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Does any one on here like street scrapping? « on: June 01, 2022, 12:02:38 AM » Author: funkybulb
Hello I like driving around picking up scrap metals off the curb around San Antonio during bulky item collection week.  And yes this
Include lights I find and posted on here.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does any one on here like street scrapping? « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 12:20:29 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I used to until I got busted by the township for too much crap !  I now only take stuff I actually can use or have the immediate time to scrap right then and there .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Does any one on here like street scrapping? « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 12:55:56 AM » Author: joseph_125
I don't go out of my way to drive around looking for stuff to grab but if I happen to come across something interesting or I intend to use I'll grab it. Usually it's fluorescent lights but I did find a decent pair of working speakers once and years ago I got some more vintage hifi stuff.

Besides, I end up throwing out half of the junk I find anyway.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Does any one on here like street scrapping? « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 10:35:32 PM » Author: 108CAM
Down here in Australia, Bulky Item Collection is called Hard Rubbish.
I go street scrapping at least once a week and go around cutting the cables off old electrical items so I can strip them for the copper wire. I also collect light fixtures and lamps. A good 60% of my collection is trash finds and I've found lots of cool stuff over the years including the sought after brass ender fluoro, many old fluoro battens that were victims of LED downgrades, My 111 tube haul, Heaps of spare parts and so much more. Trashpicking/Street Scrapping also has it's downsides like being rained out, trash piles already collected, another person beating me to the copper, angry homeowners and even a dog attack. Yes I'm ok and the dog's owner came to help me. I've also seen lots of bad drivers, accidently scaring myself, broken a few lamps, missed good items because of sheer stupidity and found a dropped phone that we took to the police station where it was reunited with it's owner.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

rlshieldjr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does any one on here like street scrapping? « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 05:31:11 PM » Author: rlshieldjr
I usually get scrap metal items from work that was going to be trashed.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies