Author Topic: Fluorescent starter sockets  (Read 1132 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Fluorescent starter sockets « on: June 02, 2022, 07:05:02 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hey all,

Anyone know where I can score a few starter sockets? Manually preheating things is fine but gets rather tiring when testing lamps. Most of them I have seen are $10 each, which is really pricy. If you know where I can get a few for good money let me know. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Fluorescent starter sockets « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 07:20:43 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If you want to start lamps that only use a 120v choke ballast, you could use an empty C9 Christmas light string to get E17 base lampholders that you can use as extremely cheap starter sockets for Japanese FG1-E and FG7-E starters. In that case, you could get 25 E17 starter sockets for $15 instead of paying that same price for normal starter sockets for lamps requiring 120v OCV:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301596825897

Here are some Japanese FG1-E starters that you could use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323610204225

For lower wattage lamps from 4w to 10w, you can use Japanese FG7-E starters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231750914637

In that case, a starter socket from an empty C9 Christmas light string would only cost $0.60 and if you use a single Japanese FG1-E or FG7-E starter along with the starter socket, you would get a starter and socket for less than the price of a normal starter socket on eBay.

If you only want one starter socket, you could also get one of those E27 to E17 reducers in a 2 pack for only slightly over $2 and use an ordinary E26 socket to insert the reducer and Japanese starter inside to make for a really cheap starter socket:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373967994675

However, for lamps requiring much higher OCV such as 32w circlines and F40T12 fluorescent tubes, you will need a normal starter socket for those as there are no E17 starter sockets for those lamps even in Japan.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 07:25:46 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Fluorescent starter sockets « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 07:33:47 PM » Author: High Intensity
Semperlite has a good variety of starter sockets for about 3 to 5 dollars each, or if you're looking for really cheap, then here is a pack of 10 from AliExpress for just under a dollar each.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Fluorescent starter sockets « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 07:37:22 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
At least this helps to save money because North American starters are much cheaper than Japanese E17 starters.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Fluorescent starter sockets « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 07:38:08 PM » Author: joseph_125
If you're looking for a specific style to fit a specific fixture design, Semperlite has a good variety.

eBay will also have a few. That Aliexpress pricing is the cheapest I've seen but if you're in a rush to get one, they might take up to 4 weeks to arrive as they ship from China.

Surplus Sales of Nebraska has these for $1.50 each + shipping. Decent price if you want a US seller.

Some older mom and pop style hardware store might also still have starter sockets. Usually the Leviton style that's built into a lampholder base.   
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies