Author Topic: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs?  (Read 1816 times)
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « on: June 23, 2022, 09:41:12 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
I saw this interesting video in my YouTube Feed. It goes in depth on how the "Warm-glow effect" LED lamps work but also talks about how it seems they are dying out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbvVnOxb1AI
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 11:09:03 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I watched the video too and I noticed today at my Home Depot the only Philips LED lamps with the warm glow dimming were some 40w Candelabra ones. It's too bad they're dying out as I wanted to try these. At least it seems like Home Depot online still has them.

Interestingly the Philips Scene-Switch 5000K-2700K-2200K bulbs are exactly what he says when he mentioned a daylight bulb with a warm glow emulation. Those bulbs are pretty neat too. I have several and it's pretty nice to easily toggle between 5000K full power, 2700K full power, and 2200K 1/4 power with just turning the switch on and off rapidly. Unfortunately Philips discontinued those about a year to year and a half ago and they're getting hard to find online too.

It's a shame if Philips was really discontinuing the warm glow line and the scene switch line in favour of smart bulbs. I don't mind smart bulbs per say but it's nice to have a physical switch for overhead lights instead of fumbling with your phone every time you want to adjust something. For overhead lights I prefer smart switches instead anyway. I have one controlling my 1950s louvered fluorescent. Can't do that with a smart bulb unless you change the fixture. 
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:40:55 AM » Author: Econolite03
Welp, the market has changed significantly these last few years. Demand for smart bulbs has increased, and from a business standpoint it’s makes more sense to drop less-profitable products (I wouldn’t consider the WarmGlow lineup a massive hit for consumers, just a side offering really) in favor of expanding the ever-evolving smart lightning market, such as Philips Hue White Ambiance. Now, the quality control on the clear filament LED versions weren’t that impressive from my experience, but I did like the SceneSwitch series.
 :snowcone:
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 10:13:49 PM » Author: Patrick
Part of the issue is that the only major national retailer to carry a wide range of Philips/Signify lamps is Home Depot, and they've been scaling back on their Philips selection in recent years.  I think it'd be a mistake to discontinue them or reduce their availability considering upcoming discontinuation of general purpose A19 halogen lamps.  Many folks who have held off will be looking for the most incandescent-like LED, and those who have stuck with incandescent all this time are probably not going to turn to smart lighting.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 01:49:16 AM » Author: joseph_125
Hmm, I wonder if that's the case. In my area, outside of lighting wholesalers there are 3 retailers that stock Philips/Signify products, Home Depot, Home Hardware, and Wal-Mart. Home Depot still stock mostly Philips, although they scaled back a bit and started stocking Feit as well as their house brand, Ecosmart. The other two used to stock other brands but switched to Philips in the last two years.

Anyway I agree that it would be a mistake to discontinue them in favour of smart lamps. The same goes for the now seemingly dead scene switch lineup. I use them in my bathroom where the different colour temperatures is handy and the low 2200k setting is great at night to avoid being blinded with full power 5000K light. For that I would go back to regular fixed colour temperature LEDs instead of a smart bulb, dosen't make sense to have to fumble with a phone app everytime I want light or to toggle colours. The flip the switch to toggle colour temperature works much better. 

It turns out the PAR20 LEDs I have in one room are the warm glow LEDs, no wonder they always looked much better dimmed compared to other LEDs, especially 3000K ones.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 02:47:30 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The world is fast becoming more and more STUPID as each day passes!, other than the iPhone, I won’t entertain anything else ‘smart’.
I grew up in the 1970s, I don’t want my house like the starship Enterprise! , “computer, (Siri Alexa), dim the lights”!, it’s worse than ridiculous now with all this tech!
What are we going to do in the distant future, when all this smart b***** is in 90% of homes and someone out there decides their going to do an EMP attack, or a massive one comes from our own sun?

Sorry, but I’m too old school to start binning out light switches!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 12:47:42 PM » Author: Econolite03
Who knows what humanity came too… there’s smart phones, watches, doorbells, televisions, coffee makers, sprinklers, chainsaws, etc…
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 01:40:09 PM » Author: Rommie
I wouldn't even have a 'smart' phone. Give me my old Nokia 6310i any day. Got three of them between us here, and one of the original 20yr old batteries is still going strong as well.

As for switching lights on and off, we have perfectly good wall switches for that. And why would we want to change the light colours..? We don't live in a disco, FFS  ::)

And don't get me started on those doorbells. I've seen cases where the police are tapping into the video feeds from them, allegedly with the owners' permission, but how long before they stop asking for that..?  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 02:24:01 PM » Author: Econolite03
Don’t forget about those Bots or pesky Data Miners.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 03:10:53 PM » Author: Rommie
Oh, them. That's why we use a double-hop VPN that routes through either Switzerland, Iceland or Sweden before it ends up in the country you want.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 04:00:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
The other issue is adding all the smart features just inflates the price of LED lamps which is a hard sell now considering the cost of gas, housing, food, etc is going up and up.

The warm glow and scene switch LED lamps were $7 each for a 60w equivalent model and worked on standard switches and dimmers. The basic hue lamps start at around $20 each, and that's not counting the cost of a hub ($70) if you want to control more than a handful or lamps, or a physical switch ($30) to mount on the wall so you don't have to fumble with your phone every time you want to turn on/off your lights. I know voice control is a thing but it always seemed over the top gimmicky in my opinion. Plus, then you have to install a Siri/Alexa/Google smart speaker to make use of that feature.

Yeah those "Ring" doorbells are kind of creepy if they openly let the police tap into them even with the owner's permission. I'd much rather install a standard camera over my front door instead. 

Edit to add, it seems like Home Depot has been replacing all the Philips snowcone style warm glow lamps with clear and frosted filament versions. I was pleased to see the newer filament LEDs still have the warm glow feature. The scene switch seems to be truely dead though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 05:28:31 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 04:04:55 PM » Author: Rommie
Heh. I already have a voice-activated light switch. I just say "Sammi, turn the lights on/off"  :lol:

Mind you, it doesn't always work...  :mrg:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 05:40:44 PM » Author: Econolite03
Ria, you’re at the age you need The Clapper instead.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 05:44:14 PM » Author: icefoglights
I hadn't really paid much attention to the warm-glow bulbs until now.  I currently have two lights that are on dimmers and may add a 3rd.  I've just used incandescent bulbs in them because even though they said they were dimmable, the LED bulbs just looked and worked so wrong in them.  Then I saw this video and thought that the warm-glow bulbs maybe what I need in those lights, so I started looking for them.

Aside from their smart bulbs, the local Home Depot hardly has any Philips bulbs left.  Almost all of what they sell now are either Ecosmart or Feit.  Fred Meyer (Kroger), which was a GE store for as long as I can remember, switched to Philips back in 2019.  I was just at Kroger and they had a pretty well stocked selection of warm-glow bulbs, and I even bought a pack of them.  Another chain that carries Philips are Do-It-Best hardware stores.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips Discontinuing Warm-Glow Dimming LEDs? « Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 06:35:19 PM » Author: Rommie
Ria, you’re at the age you need The Clapper instead.
Hey, watch it..! *I* can make jokes about my antiquity, but nobody else can, ok..?  :P ;D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies