Author Topic: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture  (Read 2142 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « on: June 24, 2022, 12:44:00 AM » Author: 108CAM
I've been wanting to add an SOX street light and a few spare lamps to my collection before they become unobtainium. I know SOX is getting more and more expensive and I'd like to start saving up. Any advice on what fixture I should get? Keep in mind that I may have to import it into Australia and I need it to work on 240 volts.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 04:25:06 AM » Author: Econolite03
Here’s my take.

The most popular first LPS fixture is typically along the lines of a Thorn Beta 5. They’re compact, relatively easy to find for sale, and are typically 35W SOX. They tend to be 240V 50Hz on UK eBay.

Another optional (if you’re brave) is something like the Spaulding Palomar PR-90 90W SOX. They’re not too big, full cutoff which is unheard of on other continents besides North America, and there’s a eBay seller with pallets of those luminaries and I’m sure you could work something out to import one. The only issue with those is they’re 120V 60Hz from US eBay, but I’m sure a Fulham Workhorse could be used.

Hope this could help and good luck.
 :sox35:
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 04:28:17 AM » Author: 108CAM
Thanks. I was also thinking of purchasing a lamp and gear on it's own and putting it inside a housing I already have.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

1925-2002

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 11:13:50 AM » Author: Burrito
You could also make one out of sheet steel and form it to your liking

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 11:43:10 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Doing that without the necessary machinery isn't as easy as it sounds.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 12:21:15 PM » Author: Burrito
I know, but it's just a thought

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 01:33:17 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Thomas Duplex Super Safelight, but I am not sure if they sold them down under, so you may need to import one from the US.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 02:06:43 PM » Author: Burrito
What do those look like?

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 02:12:27 PM » Author: HIDLad001
What do those look like?

Here is an example.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:16:15 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 02:25:08 PM » Author: RadiantMV
I’d recommend one of the larger Philips lanterns, specifically the MA-90, MA-50 or MA-60, which are 90, 135 and 180 watts respectively.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 02:28:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The shipping of one of them to the land of Oz is going to be a killer.!!!  :o :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 04:19:53 PM » Author: joseph_125
Something small like the Philips Goldeye or the Philips Mini-SOX are a good choice too. They are both bulkhead/wallpack lights so if you're looking for a roadway style light you might want to look elsewhere.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 07:44:15 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah the Goldeye is good, but it's not all that efficient and runs very hot. It also doesn't have a PFC capacitor, which doesn't help, I put a 24µF one in mine which brought the power factor up to 0.96 from down in the 0.24 region somewhere IIRC.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 08:30:58 PM » Author: 108CAM
I'm proud to say that this converted 250w MH Philips ConTempo floodlight is my first SOX fixture!

1925-2002

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Good First SOX/LPS Fixture « Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 10:43:02 PM » Author: joseph_125
@Rommie - Yeah, it's a shame that the Goldeye ballasts run so hot and at such a poor PF. On my first generation one, I found a 17.5µF capacitor (same as for 175w MV CWA) works pretty well to raise the PF above 0.90. There were native 240v 50Hz versions of the Goldeye in Australia. I suspect they have much more efficient gear in them.

@108CAM - Nice conversion!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies