Author Topic: Why electronic HID ballasts can't accelerate the run-up of HPS lamps?  (Read 894 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Why electronic HID ballasts can't accelerate the run-up of HPS lamps? « on: June 26, 2022, 09:44:05 AM » Author: dor123
I've noticed that while QMH and CMH lamps runs up very fast on electronic ballasts compared to magnetic ballasts, HPS lamps runs up the same speed on both electronic ballasts and magnetic ballasts.
Why electronic HID ballasts can't accelerate the run-up time of HPS lamps?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Why electronic HID ballasts can't accelerate the run-up of HPS lamps? « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 10:02:04 AM » Author: Foxtronix
Isn't the warmup time of HID lamps largely dependant on the discharge current?

If I remember, constant wattage ballasts, by maintaining a fairly constant current, extend the warmup time by keeping the lamp current close to (or even under) its final value. HX and reactor types on the other hand allow a cold lamp and its low voltage drop to draw more current and thus warm up faster.

Electronic ballasts probably have an even tighter current regulation than any magnetic ballast. I guess it's possible to design an electronic ballast that purposefully induces a large overcurrent in the first minute or so to speed up the warm up, then bring the current back to nominal value. In that case there probably are practical reasons to design MH ballasts this way which is largely irrelevant with HPS ballasts. In indoor applications I assume it's desirable to have HID lamps that get to full brightness as fast as possible. As HPS lamps are used outdoors for the most part, the time they take to get to full brightness isn't as critical.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why electronic HID ballasts can't accelerate the run-up of HPS lamps? « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 03:41:01 PM » Author: Medved
Electronic ballasts can tightly regulate whatever parameter their designer wanted.
It is true the most inner regulation loop uses to control the arc current. But maybe except fluorescents, the target current is never a constant, but rather is actively steered to reach desired lamp performance.
With MH it means stabilizing the pressure the arc operates in, the intention being to maintain the correct ratio of the various luminous components in the fill, so its color. This yields to the use of higher current until the lamp is really warmed up, hence the fast startup.
With HPS (and now I'm guessing) the aim would be to maintain the light output, so keep the real power somewhat constant (this then inherently supresses the thermal feedback). That means the warmup follows rather normal settling.
Either way the ballast never uses any current above the startup current rating (usually 1.6x nominal arc current), so to not overload the electrodes.

No more selfballasted c***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why electronic HID ballasts can't accelerate the run-up of HPS lamps? « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 07:26:31 PM » Author: 108CAM
The run-up time would also be determined by things like how many hours the lamp has done and how cold the lamp is before it starts.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies