Author Topic: Using a ballast as a transformer  (Read 509 times)
RandomCatPerson

View Posts
View Gallery

Using a ballast as a transformer « on: July 02, 2022, 04:08:35 PM » Author: RandomCatPerson
I have a m47 ballast with multi tap capability and wanted to use it to power my 480v 700w OV-50 with a 120v input. Has anyone tried this because it seems like it should work but I'm not confident electronically.

See me on youtube at The Everything enthusiest for more content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYq1jSBuQvMObtCuglqB_6g/videos

Westinghouse is King

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using a ballast as a transformer « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 11:44:42 PM » Author: funkybulb
I dont recomend it.  It would work but it not recomended because it not isolated.  And event somthing goes wrong case. 

I would recomend that u get proper transformer 120  to 480 V
At least 2 KVA.   I found mine at Restore and paid 5 buck for it
These can be sold for 2 or  300 bucks on Ebay.

U can how ever reballast your street light and reduce cap value by
 30 percent to run 700 watt MV.  And none of this step up conversion.   

Only reason I wanted a step up is two things having a real 240 volt to neutral like rest of country and also provide 480
Volt for my street lights.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Using a ballast as a transformer « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 11:44:43 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I've done it at a much smaller scale to run 240v incandescent lamps. While not Ideal, an m47 ballast should work as its 1000w. It's best to use a ballast larger in wattage than the thing you want to power so as to not overload it. Just make sure to cap off every other voltage and the secondary and you should be good. The best thing is still a dedicated transformer capable of powering them up, but this can work in a pinch for quick testing.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Using a ballast as a transformer « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 01:30:32 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah not ideal but should work ok in a pinch, just make sure the ballast is higher wattage than the ballast you're trying to power, you might want to correct the power factor on the 480v ballast with a capacitor to lower the VA drawn. That will lower the strain on the ballast you're using to power the light.

Maybe verify you have the correct voltage with a multimeter if you got one. Just make sure you're on the correct voltage setting and your meter is rated for the higher voltage.

Also a fuse on the primary might not hurt if you got one.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Using a ballast as a transformer « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 10:47:22 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Definitely get a fuse fitted, otherwise you might be the one getting hurt if things start going wrong... :short: :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Using a ballast as a transformer « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 09:39:19 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I never use a ballast as a transformer. Instead, I use two identical ballasts in parallel to drive a light source with twice the power of a single ballast.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies