Author Topic: Close Calls  (Read 799 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Close Calls « on: July 20, 2022, 04:10:16 AM » Author: 108CAM
What kind of close call or near miss has happened to you lighting wise?
I was working on converting a floodlight to run my new SOX lamp and I was moving the floodlight housing and forgot where I put the lamp and accidently hit it off my bed where it landed inside the lamp chamber of a snow shovel style flood light. Thankfully the lamp fell base first with the glass envelope receiving minimal impact and the lamp survived intact. I breathed a big sigh of relief after the close call as it could have ended much worse.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Close Calls « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 08:12:46 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I was running one of my 4ft fluro battens (bare tube) vertically, freestanding on its shelf. The cable out the back of it is just long enough to reach the plug socket with a bit of slack. I accidentally dropped something right on the cable which removed all the slack and caused the fitting to fall off the shelf. Luckily I was close enough to catch it before it hit the ground but that was almost the end of my only BLB tube.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Close Calls « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 10:10:02 PM » Author: 108CAM
I had another close call this time involving the container with most of my HID lamps. I was removing a container of mixed GLS lamps from the shelf above the HID lamps and the bottom of the GLS container bumped into the top of the HID container and as I was removing the GLS container from it's shelf, the bottom had started to drag the HID container out of it's shelf. I only noticed it when the GLS container felt like it was stuck against something and I looked down and noticed the HID container starting to tip over and fall. I then used a single hand to hold up the GLS container while I pushed the HID container back into the shelf with my other hand. I would have been devastated if the HID lamps had fallen as I would have lost many of them and potentially my 250w Canadian export MV lamp with a BT28 envelope.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

1925-2002

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Close Calls « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 10:16:09 PM » Author: Burrito
I touched a live HID capacitor once. I'll never do it again though. It was also a cool buzz too

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close Calls « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 12:33:38 AM » Author: xelareverse
Tree fell on the shed where I had a Westinghouse RMA mounted. About 20' into the air.  Me and my dad were fixing the shed and so we had to take the light down to get to the wood underneath. I guess from running for a while, the screws inside loosened themselves and the ballast came flying out with the lamp attached. It fell from 20', ballast assembly lost some porcelain stuff but the lamp survived somehow.  Put it back together, and it's been a little louder but fine since.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Close Calls « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 07:47:02 PM » Author: 108CAM
I really need to mention my Philips 400w MV lamp that somehow survived an approximately 5 metre fall from the upstairs balcony to the tiles around our in ground pool. The lamp hit the tiles base first and the support structure had dislodged from the dimple at the top. More recently, I was trying to see if I could get the arc tube supports back onto the dimple but the shaking had broken part of the arc tube support which rendered the lamp unusable. I have since removed the E40 cap and now have a nice example of what an ED37 envelope looks like without anything on the bottom.

1925-2002

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Close Calls « Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 06:18:27 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Stupidest thing I ever had a mishap with was trying to ballast a 1960s Philips MB/U with tungsten lamps, I didn’t get it right and fried the molly foil seals rendering the lamp useless!  :curse:, why I was foolish enough to try it with that lamp and not one of the used and abused run of the mill 250 watt mercury lamps I had first still puzzle’s me today!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Close Calls « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 03:40:38 PM » Author: Econolite03
Nearly had something fall off a dresser onto my M-400 several months ago, would’ve smashed the refractor. It was a relative who put the item the could’ve fallen, told them to never do that again.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Close Calls « Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 04:44:18 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm not saying anything, in case I jinx things big time  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Close Calls « Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 03:05:06 PM » Author: HIDLad001
When this lamp rolled and almost fell on the floor. Luckily, I caught it.

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies