Author Topic: Any advice on starting a collection?  (Read 768 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Any advice on starting a collection? « on: July 24, 2022, 09:23:02 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I am pretty new to this hobby, so do you know of any HID street lights that would be a good collection starter? I am on a budget, so anything in the $50 to $100 or under price point would be good. Are there any luminaires or gear that I should avoid? Please let me know!

HID Fixtures should stay HID!
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Any advice on starting a collection? « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 09:47:38 AM » Author: Molly
The 115 is nice and small compared to others.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any advice on starting a collection? « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 11:26:47 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Yeah, the 115 is a good starter HID street light. Small, not that bad quality, and also the cheapest and most common HID street light on eBay.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Any advice on starting a collection? « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 01:03:22 PM » Author: Cole D.
I agree on 115, and it was my first cobra and only so far.  ;)

There are also some really cheap Cooper NEMA heads on there.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Any advice on starting a collection? « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 01:34:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah there are several 115s that are less than $100 shipped from eBay. There's also a M-250A2 but you'll need 240v to run it.

Another option is to search Craigslist, Offer Up, or Facebook for "street light", "yard light", and "outdoor light" and see if any HID streetlights show up there.

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Any advice on starting a collection? « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 02:47:24 PM » Author: Molly
@Cole D. I agree, the Cooper NEMAs are a great starter chocie as well.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Any advice on starting a collection? « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 05:18:16 AM » Author: 108CAM
I started out by first collecting common items so I could get them before they become unobtainuim and mega expensive. I then began to start searching for rare items. Another good tip is to part out unrepairable items in order to build up a good supply of spare parts.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies