Author Topic: Loud or quiet?  (Read 1477 times)
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Loud or quiet? « on: July 24, 2022, 03:03:02 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Do you prefer your ballasts to be as quiet as possible or for them to hum while working?

I personally really like the 50 Hz hum that some ballasts give off. Being able to hear things working as well as seeing it make it more interesting for me.
My Thorn lanterns are much quieter than my Philips lanterns, and so I find myself running the Philips lanterns more.

And it may just be me being hypersensitive to sound, but having that gentle hum in the background allows me to focus better, even on things I need to listen to.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 03:26:58 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I like the 60Hz hum that my ballasts give off. if I need to, than I can tune it out very easily. A lot of people cannot stand it, especially people with mental disorders like Autism.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 03:50:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
Depends on the space I'm using them in. For a bedroom/living space I prefer my lights to be on the quieter side. For a workshop, I don't mind a bit of hum.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 03:53:33 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Yeah, If it is in a bedroom or other living space, I would prefer it to be quieter as well.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 04:10:52 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
HIDLad001 - That is the hypersensitivity to sound. They can't easily filter out sound they don't want to focus on and suden / loud noises can disorientate them. I do have this trait, so I'm likely on the autism spectrum. But it's nowhere near significant enough to need or want a diagnosis. This trait does manifest differently for people. For me, I don't mind the hum in the background, or even setting fire alarms off (on certairn tones), but I get very disorientated very quickly if 2 people speak to me at the same time, if the computer / car radio is playing loud or heavybeat music, and if the car window is open at high speeds, to name a few.
I also flinch so badly it actually hurts when I hear a sudden, unexpected sound at any volume.

joseph_125 - Interesting. I'd prefer the opposite if I couldn't have it always.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 07:41:12 PM » Author: 108CAM
When I was younger, the hum used to annoy me but now I love it especially when it's combined with the pings from blink happy fluorescent starters.
It's also another reason why LEDs suck as they don't have a 50/60hz hum.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 07:51:40 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Depends where it is...
Anything in the house needs to run silent (or nearly so). If its in the garage or shed a little buzz/hum is ok.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 10:37:29 PM » Author: Burrito
I prefer them to be a loud buzz, not ear piercing, and also vibrate too. Cause the vibration noises sound soothing IMO

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 11:07:20 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Depends where it is . We had a 1000w MH high bay at work that was loud as hell ! You couldn't concentrate on what you were doing when working near it . Especially first thing in the morning when you weren't really awake anyways .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 02:34:14 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I like my ballasts buzzing at 180dB

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 10:08:36 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
108CAM - Now that is interesting. I always liked the hum. I found the loud T8 batten in the garage more interesting than the quieter T12 batten right next to it.

xmaslightguy - I suppose noisy ballasts do suit the workshop setting more.

HM1000 - My thoughts exactly. Also putting you hand on a fixture that hums with vibration, and a bit of heat coming off it, it feels a bit like it's almost living IMO. (Ok, I'll probably see someone about that :mrg:)

w-l 1000 - I've heard similar fixtures where the frequency is just high enough for you to be unable to filter it as background noise.

HBL -  180dB :poof:
Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 12:29:03 PM » Author: Molly
I prefer quiet.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #12 on: July 26, 2022, 04:08:46 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I like my ballasts to play banjo music when they start up. And then steadily fade over to death metal as the night goes on.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 09:24:55 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Is this one loud enough for you ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJpvME1EdpY&t

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Loud or quiet? « Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 09:49:18 PM » Author: Burrito
I love that buzzing sound

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies