Author Topic: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures  (Read 2663 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
“Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « on: July 25, 2022, 10:33:12 PM » Author: HPS_250
I’ve recently had an interest in these unique fixtures after finding an old photo on this site from at least 15 years ago of them at night. Other than that, the only other photo I can find is from @arcblue of the fixture itself after it was removed back in 2005. According to what I can find, they were originally 700w MV (and even had /X lamps at some point) before being converted to 3x 400w MH. Does anyone have any more information on these, or know about any more existing photos? How about who manufactured them?
As far I know, they’re all long gone and none remain in service, but some might still exist in someone’s collection.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 10:46:41 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'll see if I can dig up some sources but here's some additional info. I read that the lights were on a timer with the two outer lamps shutting off at 1AM to save energy. The middle lamp would stay on the whole night. No clue about the manufacturer.

As for remaining units, At least three got saved initially. One was kept by the LA Bureau of Street Lighting (BSL) and can be spotted in their museum. According to the video they have, it was installed around 1960 and removed in 2005.

Another got used as a prop for the TV show "iCarly" I believe. And there's one on here that seems to have made it in a collection. I believe arcblue has some pictures of that one.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 10:52:41 PM » Author: HPS_250
Interesting, I never knew about the timer function but it definitely makes sense considering how much electricity these used with all three lamps on. Good to know that one was saved for the street lighting museum, that might be something I’d be interested in seeing if I ever get around to it. I also saw the one that @arcblue took pictures of, I can’t seem to find if it’s in an LG member’s collection or someone else though. At least it was saved either way.

I’ll see if I can find any more info for now…

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 10:53:23 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I know they used OV-50 refractors and modified OV-50 reflectors .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 10:57:53 PM » Author: HPS_250
Cool, didn’t know that either. I wonder if they could have potentially been custom ordered from Westinghouse or just put together by the city themselves from Westinghouse parts and gear.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 11:08:57 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=237&pos=27&pid=25679   I'd guess they were either custom made by the city , or built by a private company for the city .  They were remote ballasted .

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 11:26:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
Some pretty good pictures of them in service, during removal, and detail shots of the interior on these links:

http://ecc83.hopto.org/site/index.php?sec=lighting&id=laTrip
http://ecc83.hopto.org/site/index.php?sec=lighting&id=hollywoodspecials

Looks like all the optics and internals are Westinghouse. The lamp sockets look identical to the one found in my OV-10.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 11:44:21 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Did you see all of the NOS Hollywood Specials in the 1st link ??  :poof: I'd LOVE to have one of those !!  I'm really curious as to who made them !!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 12:04:06 AM » Author: HPS_250
Wow, I wonder where those NOS ones were seen! How awesome would that be if they still existed somewhere?  ;D
That would be like the holy grail of NOS street light fixtures.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:12:07 AM by HPS_250 » Logged

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 12:29:05 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Apparently , they are/were at the L.A. Bureau of Streetlighting !

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 12:41:07 AM » Author: joseph_125
WOW! I didn't even notice the NOS ones sitting on the shelf and still wrapped up in the first link. Smart of the LA BSL to keep spares, finding replacements for something custom like that would have been impossible.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 12:45:10 AM » Author: HPS_250
Is that site where all the photos were found somehow associated with LG? It appears to still be active and was created by Phillip Slawinski, who also founded LG.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #12 on: July 26, 2022, 08:56:11 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I wonder what became of the NOS ones ??

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 09:20:47 PM » Author: Burrito
Probably went to the trash or went to eBay and sold to someone who might have converted to LED

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: “Hollywood Special” 700w MV Fixtures « Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 10:06:53 PM » Author: HPS_250
I wonder what became of the NOS ones ??

Who knows, they could pop up on eBay someday in the future…
I doubt they were trashed because considering how heavy they were, they would have had quite a bit of scrap value. So most likely they were other sold, scrapped, or are still sitting in storage somewhere.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies