Author Topic: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising?  (Read 1596 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « on: July 27, 2022, 11:01:52 PM » Author: 108CAM
This happened to me with these Holophane canopy lights. They are both 175w MV but one of them had a 250w MV lamp installed which was really odd because the fixtures were never actually installed so it's a very interesting mystery as to how a 250w lamp ended up inside a 175w fixture that was never installed. 

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 11:59:53 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Yeah. In 2017, I bought an ITT 50w HPS flood light from a ReStore and noticed it came with a Philips 100w HPS lamp when I took the fixture apart to inspect it. It's funny because the front is latched on instead of held with screws so I could've checked what lamp it had inside while I was at the place.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 12:40:13 AM » Author: Lumex120
One of the first HID fixtures I purchased back in 2015 was a GE 250w low bay that was mislamped with a 175w lamp. I ended up installing in the garage at my old house to light it up and it lit up the whole space really well, I always had it on when working on projects. We had to move out and I unfortunately had to leave it there, I got to see the house after it was flipped and they had removed it along with a ceiling fan I had done a custom modern paint job on in the living room.  :curse:

Unofficial LG Discord

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 10:19:47 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I bought this : https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5198&pos=16&pid=208126 at an antique show and didn't realize it was mis-lamped until I took it apart and saw the H-38 on the ballast .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 10:33:25 PM » Author: joseph_125
I bought a Gardco 50w MH recessed fixture at the Restore and when I finally checked to see what lamp it had, it had a MHC70/C/U/MP/4K in it. That's a 70w CMH lamp. With most lights I'll take a peek at the lamp but this one required a allen key to open so I didn't
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:37:21 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Tom S.

View Posts
View Gallery

DJMinor5000
Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 06:05:57 PM » Author: Tom S.
I once bought a Hubbell canopy light fixture at a swapmeet for $5. The manufacturer sticker on side of fixture denoted it was for a 250 watt MV lamp. When I opened the fixture up, it had a very worn 175 watt probe-start metal halide lamp in it. I then went into the ballast compartment to check ballast, and it had indeed been replaced with a 175 watt metal halide ballast.

If anyone is buying used fixtures off eBay, Craigslist, ReStore, etc. it is always a good idea to check the ballast and confirm it is the proper one  for the lamp in fixture. Once I had bought a used small HID floodlight fixture at a ReStore, and it had a 100 watt HPS lamp in it. I checked the ballast which was made for a 70 watt PSMH lamp. So I replaced the lamp in fixture with proper PSMH lamp. Therefore, rule of thumb: always verify lamp and ballast in a used HID fixture are compatible.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 08:59:02 PM » Author: Cole D.
No, since most of my HID fixtures didn’t come with bulbs other than my 201SA that may have its original GE 175 W bulb.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 09:13:07 PM » Author: BT25
I bought a Westinghouse OV-15 250W/H37 Silverliner that had a very blackened H39 lamp in it...the previous owner probably didn't know any better due to there being no proper labeling.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 11:17:21 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've heard of people installing a lower wattage HID lamp of the same type in to save energy, not knowing that HID lamps are matched to a specific ballast. I bought a cheap 100w MV lamp once and one of the reviewers gave it one star for not lasting long in a 175w fixture. ::)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Have You Ever Purchased A Mislamped Fixture Without Realising? « Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 06:58:33 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Joseph,
Yup, heard of that happening all too often.  ???

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies