Author Topic: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen?  (Read 1578 times)
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « on: July 31, 2022, 07:21:17 PM » Author: xelareverse
So everybody knows about the American Electric stuff and how it would turn purple. But I recall that being an issue well before American American Electric Autobahns did it.  Those eBay LED floodlights that used to be very popular, parts of the diodes would would flake off and they would emit a purple color.  Or a lot of Walmart stores at 1 point over the produce section had 8' indirect linear LED lights, I think they were made by either GE or Cree if I remember correctly and those would either shift to green or purple. Some of the early 3/5 mm LEDs in hand held Flash lights would also slowly shift to purple, but not as extreme as the other stuff memtioned.  The city of Ann Arbor Michigan on their own poles also installed these LED lights which I have no clue what they are,those things also would shift to purple before the AEL ones.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 10:34:18 PM » Author: Cole D.
For me I'm pretty sure it was at Winn Dixie. They had LED spotlights that they installed in a remodel in 2008, in the produce and bakery departments and also around the seafood and meat depts, and those all did seem to shift to a weird blue/green color after a few years. I think they all got replaced late last year when they did another remodel, so I can't verify at this point.

Definitely was one of the first LED installs I ever saw.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 10:23:43 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
York had some ATBX lights that looked like they were in the early stages of shifting purple but it might've been because of the black finish. Maybe the entire park and ride with dayburning purple ATB0s in Tyngsboro MA. That was more recent so I'm not sure, Maybe I've seen some before.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 10:39:33 PM » Author: joseph_125
I don't think I've seen one in person yet. American Electric LED luminaires aren't that common in my immediate area either.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 08:29:05 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Some King Luminaire LED fixtures I've seen have shifted purple.

@xelareverse - That LED fixture in the Street View attachment is a Relume Alpha PH1.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 03:32:41 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Never seen any LED street lighting fixtures do it here yet, but I’ve seen Lena Lightings ‘Codar’ battens colour shift to a purple colour within two years of installation!
I’m also starting to see Ansell Tornado Pros now starting to turn a blue colour!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 11:38:37 AM » Author: icefoglights
Haven't seen any go purple, but I have seen plenty turn that yellow-green color.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 04:38:52 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
The first purple-shifted LEDs I've seen were retrofit kits that I don't know the manufacture of, in some park lights that were formerly HID. They actually did well when they were all working (not sure exactly when they were installed) but last year, it seems like they all got worse with some completely out, one flashing, and a few turning dim and purple and of course, all of them were replaced shortly after with new LED retrofit lamps.
208Volts

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 04:58:24 PM » Author: 208Volts
Looks like there's now a bit more coverage of this issue

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/purple-street-lights-vancouver-1.6604599

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What was the 1st purple-shifted LED you've seen? « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 02:09:00 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Tonight, I spotted a purple shifted LED lantern for the first time while coming back home from an evening class at Cal Poly Pomona.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies