Author Topic: Why did Australia import some HID lamps designed for the North American market?  (Read 772 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why did Australia import some HID lamps designed for the North American market? « on: August 14, 2022, 11:09:57 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After looking at some Australian lighting catalogs, collections from Australian members, and even some eBay listings, I have noticed that HID lamps designed for the North American market are found in Australia. Why is this so?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Why did Australia import some HID lamps designed for the North American market? « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 06:13:58 AM » Author: 108CAM
Likely because Electronic Lamp Manufactures of Australia (ELMA) mostly produced incandescent and fluorescent lamps. I have yet to find any evidence of ELMA producing any HID lamps at it's factory in Sydney. Most of my older HID lamps are imported from either the USA or Canada.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Al_M

View Posts
View Gallery

GEC Z9464 90w SOX/LPS

Re: Why did Australia import some HID lamps designed for the North American market? « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 03:34:43 AM » Author: Al_M
Because Australia never made HID lamps, so logically they are imported from somewhere overseas. It's really only the ones that are also compatible with European choke/ignitor gear that are imported from the US and usually only metal halide lamps of 50w and higher.

Those low voltage 55v HPS lamps used in the US are pretty-much unheard of in Australia. A few 90/100v HPS lamps made for export markets were imported into Australia from the US, but not many. Also, not many MV lamps were imported from there either. Most HID lamps came from England, Europe and Asia.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies