Author Topic: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp  (Read 1561 times)
GEm1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « on: August 21, 2022, 03:16:04 PM » Author: GEm1000
Looking for someone willing to give/sell any well used/dimmed 100 watt mercury lamps in medium or mogul base  :mvc: There's something I love so much about dimmed used lamps but most of mine are still pretty bright or brand new, willing to pay price of shipping as well.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 06:16:58 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Member Tim (wide-lite 1000) has one. See here. Maybe you could try sending him a PM.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2022, 09:58:19 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
PM me your Zip Code and I can get you a shipping quote . I have no use for this thing ! : https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastcom&cat=12766&pos=0&pid=189296

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 09:58:44 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Lemme know when you're ready as I have to get you a new qoute as USPS shipping rates have changed .

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 06:52:04 PM » Author: James
There is a super-easy way to make a mercury lamp well used in a few days if you wish.  Just put it on a timeswitch and set it to run for a something like 15 seconds (or the minimum you can) before switching off and the re-starting.  This was cause extreme sputtering of the electrodes and blackening of the arc tube in almost the same mechanism as happens during life.  After a few days it will look as black as a lamp that has done many years of service!  This setup is used in the factories for checking the quality of the electrodes, and gives a result in a few days instead of the normal process of having to lifetest for many years.
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 02:43:08 PM » Author: ElectroLite
There is a super-easy way to make a mercury lamp well used in a few days if you wish.  Just put it on a timeswitch and set it to run for a something like 15 seconds (or the minimum you can) before switching off and the re-starting.  This was cause extreme sputtering of the electrodes and blackening of the arc tube in almost the same mechanism as happens during life.  After a few days it will look as black as a lamp that has done many years of service!  This setup is used in the factories for checking the quality of the electrodes, and gives a result in a few days instead of the normal process of having to lifetest for many years.

Would this method work for (roughly) evaluating the expected life of a SOX lamp as well, without having to do a several-year life test? (Perhaps have a counter counting start-ups while short cycling the lamp?) I'd be curious to do a life test on those Chinese SOX lamps, but I don't want to wait several years for results!  :lol:
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 04:55:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting, this would be a good method to evaluate the quality of modern MV lamps too. You can probably rig up a simple control circuit with a self cycling time delay relay set to cycle power every 15 sec (I have a adjustable one that I use in a similar manner to flash my traffic beacons) and a counter used to count the number of cycles.

It would be interesting how this data extrapolates into a more typical life rating in terms of total hours @ 8 hours per start, etc.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 10:54:31 PM » Author: Lumex120
Interesting, this would be a good method to evaluate the quality of modern MV lamps too. You can probably rig up a simple control circuit with a self cycling time delay relay set to cycle power every 15 sec (I have a adjustable one that I use in a similar manner to flash my traffic beacons) and a counter used to count the number of cycles.

It would be interesting how this data extrapolates into a more typical life rating in terms of total hours @ 8 hours per start, etc.

That would be really easy to set up with an Arduino + solid state relay.

Unofficial LG Discord

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 10:58:05 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Mythbusters did a similar test involving several different lamp types to test the affect of frequent switching on lamp life .

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wanted: Well used 100 watt mercury lamp « Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 11:11:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
That would be really easy to set up with an Arduino + solid state relay.

The SSR would probably be a good option. Less clicking and no contacts to wear out. With some added parts, you could also add a display for a counter and have it run for a set number of cycles.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies