Author Topic: Running a F14T5 Linear Fluorescent Tube on a 13w PL Ballast  (Read 539 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Running a F14T5 Linear Fluorescent Tube on a 13w PL Ballast « on: August 24, 2022, 12:56:52 AM » Author: 108CAM
I have an electronically ballasted F14T5 light that I'd like to convert to preheat as I'm not a fan of electronic ballasts. The ballast I'd like to use is an Atco EC13 magnetic ballast for 13w PL lamps. Just wanted to check if it will work before trying it.
I've attached an image of the ballast that I'd like to use which contains the electrical information for the ballast.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a F14T5 Linear Fluorescent Tube on a 13w PL Ballast « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 01:52:18 AM » Author: Medved
This ballast is for miniature T5 (4..13W, with the smaller lamps operating 2 in series).
The F14T5HE you are likely talking about is rated for similar current (in fact the F13T5 vs F14T5HE have so similar parameters they mostly overlap if you take into account production tolerances), but it has weaker electrodes, designed for HF (so electronic ballast) operation only, where the temperature does not fluctuate as much as with 50Hz operation. So at this (and any "magnetic") ballast the lamp will degrade way faster than designed.

No more selfballasted c***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Running a F14T5 Linear Fluorescent Tube on a 13w PL Ballast « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 02:25:14 AM » Author: 108CAM
So from what you're saying, it's electrically compatible and will work but with shortened lamp life?
I have also attached a photo of the electronic ballast that the lamp is currently running on.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Running a F14T5 Linear Fluorescent Tube on a 13w PL Ballast « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 10:38:40 AM » Author: Medved
I would not say "compatible", it has the same rating.
And yes, the main problem is in the wear/lifetime.
And maybe some starters may interfere with the lamp burning, you need to use the "xx..65W" or "xx..56W" starter.

This ballast should operate the lamp well, without cold start stressing. Definitely it should be better for the lamp than the magnetic. But dunno what is the motivation, why you want to go to the preheat circuit.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies