Author Topic: Ballast Thumping  (Read 538 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Ballast Thumping « on: August 25, 2022, 09:11:33 PM » Author: 108CAM
I have a F40T12 ballast that makes a louder than normal 50hz hum and a thumping sound while the tube is starting up. Once the tube has started, the ballast is silent and everything works normally. I also have a second identical ballast that does not make any noise whatsoever. I have read stories of electronic ballasts thumping but in my case, it's an older preheat ballast that may have been overdriven as a result of the previous owners using F36T8 tubes instead of the F40T12 tubes that the ballast is designed for.
Does anyone know what could be causing this thumping or if it's a sign that the ballast could be about to fail?

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Ballast Thumping « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 10:58:50 PM » Author: dor123
36W T8 lamps are intended to work on 40W T12 preheat ballast.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast Thumping « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 01:02:46 AM » Author: Medved
The "thump" is caused by a saturation, when the current starts at infavorable phase.
The magnetic flux is an integrate of the voltage across the coil, so certain AC voltage forces it to vary with a given peak-peak value. And because it is an integral, it has its peak at voltage zero crossing. Because tge flux needs a current for it to form, when the circuit is open, there is zero flux.
Normally the flux density is symmetrical around zero, so only half of its peak-peak span is well below saturation.
But when you complete the circuit e.g. at voltage zero cross, the flux is zero at the time it should have its maximum (e.g. negative). When it is forced to swing its peak-peak level from that point till the next voltage zero cross, the whole peak-peak swing attempts to become the flux in the core. Because normally it is half of it, it means double flux than normally. Because these magnetic components use to be designed to really work on the edge of saturation (to have minimum turns, so shortest wire, so the lowest resistive losses possible), the full peak-peak leads to core saturation. And that leads to excessive field around the ballast (causing vibration to nearby steel components) plus tge magnetostriction movements within the core itself. Both lead to that noise.
After few cycless the losses even the things out and "move" the flux swing symmetrically around zero, so there is no such saturation anymore.

These effects are normal and should cause any problems whatsoever. It does cause current spike, but it is for so short time the thermal inertia has no issue absorbing the related peak losdes without even any observable impact at all.
The only problem (mainly with big transformers) is the high current spike when the core saturates falsely tripping the overcurrent protections, hence tge use of various soft start (starting at lower voltage, so the peak-peak "fits" within the saturation) or starting phasing methods (timing the connection so it happens at the point where the flux would be crossing zero).

The difference between your two cases could be just slightly different timing of the starting components, or with the "loud" ballast tgere is something either lose or not that rigid, so the external flux pulse makes it to vibrate more.
There only the "something lose" could be a problem, not because the noise, but because being lose in the first place.
With lighting ballasts it is just taken into account for the circuit protection design (using slow blow fuse/breaker, rated for double the arc current in case of a series reactor)

No more selfballasted c***

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Ballast Thumping « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 05:53:02 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
My T8 batten also has a grumpy ballast. It has been for at least as long as I have memory for. It still works.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies