Author Topic: Hurricane Lantern Restoration  (Read 2022 times)
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Hurricane Lantern Restoration « on: September 03, 2022, 05:23:10 PM » Author: Beta 5
Here is a video I saw on Youtube recently, of a Chalwyn Tropic lantern restoration  :oil-ltn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2gLDQIyY2w

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:12:29 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Quite the difference from start to finish :)
And it's proof why I like these things: If you put a bit of care into them, and they'll last you a lifetime and then some :oil-ltn:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 11:17:29 AM » Author: Rommie
We love them, we just had 6 of them all on together while taking a soak in the bath  :oil-ltn:  8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 11:51:12 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Not only did we get the soft light from them that we love, they also gave us the warmth we needed without having to put the heating on... :oil-ltn: :oil-ltn: :oil-ltn:  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 03:20:44 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ AH: Our lanterns might get a bit of fettling, but nothing beyond that, they're all perfectly serviceable, and any blemishes they do have are part of their history.  :oil-ltn:  :love: :oil-ltn:  :wndr: :oil-ltn:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 03:39:55 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Same here. But I can also appreciate the care & effort someone puts in to restoring one. :oil-ltn: :wndr:
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 04:16:50 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Restoring a lantern to its former glory is one thing, when it's as far gone as that Tropic was.  :wndr:

But what really winds me up is seeing a wonderful oily lamp desecrated by a so-called 'up-cycler'  >:( :curse:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 04:38:58 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
That, I agree with.
If you wan't to 'modernise' an oil lamp, buy a modern one on amazon. For heavens sake don't drill a piece of history for a lampholder >:(
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 05:35:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
Agreed, they still make modern ones so just get one of those if you plan to LEDize it. At the very least, if you plan to upcycle something old, make sure your conversion is completely reversible so no drilling. 
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Hurricane Lantern Restoration « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 05:40:44 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Especially as those wonderful lanterns can be brought back from the brink as that video showed.  :oil-ltn: :love:

Incidentally I've found a solution to getting a stiff wick winder to co-operate...  :wndr:

A broad bladed flat screwdriver gives that added bit of purchase.  8)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies