Author Topic: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps  (Read 2454 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 10:39:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
Not surprised given it's California.  ::) At least there's always the option of buying from another state and driving them back.

Banning gas heaters and gas powered vehicles would be interesting here. Almost every house here is heated with gas and the costs to convert to electric, both to the property owner and to upgrade the power grid would be pretty significant. Water heaters are mostly gas too.

As for gas powered vehicles, you might be able to get away with current electric tech in Southern Ontario, but it'd be a hard sell for those living in Northern Ontario, the remote areas have gas stations pretty far apart and plus the cold winters the more north you go means you lose a lot of range during the winter. The other main issue is upgrading the electric grid to allow for EV charging too. Like the issue with gas heat, most homes here are designed with 100A services, enough for a house with gas heat but switch that to electric and add a EV charger, you'd be looking to upgrade to a 200A service shortly.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #16 on: September 26, 2022, 02:24:19 PM » Author: Rommie
Personally, I've always felt hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go for cars, nothing but water vapour out of the tailpipe, as quick to fill up as a normal car and no heavy additions to the electricity grid needed.

They have also announced that the sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned here from 2030, with all new cars and vans zero emission at the tailpipe from 2035. Also, gas boilers for heating will be banned in new build houses by 2025 with all installation phased out by 2035.

By the way, can I take the opportunity to remind members of the rules regarding political discussion; it's ok when it refers specifically to lamp bans etc. but not otherwise, so whatever your opinions on the banning of internal combustion engines etc., please keep them to yourselves, thanks. Mention them, as I have done here, but don't say you think the government is crazy or similar, this topic is ok so far, let's keep it that way  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 10:09:29 PM » Author: Econolite03
I’m gonna ride a motorcycle, so I’m good.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #18 on: September 27, 2022, 01:08:43 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Not necessarily ! From what I've heard , the plan is to eliminate ALL fossil fuel powered vehicles and equipment eventually !  :police:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #19 on: September 27, 2022, 08:33:46 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
And there are electric bikes on the market already. :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 11:26:24 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
I think this is a good thing overall, but of course there will be times when it doesn't make any sense to restrict. Such as fixtures that are used less than 100 hours a year that are not easily retrofittable.

I think it will still be pretty easy for collectors to get lamps, just not average people walking into the hardware store.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #21 on: September 28, 2022, 11:28:37 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I do have a feeling that there will be a time when traditional lamps will become too precious to be put into daily use because they would become rare after a few decades of being banned by governments and discontinued by manufacturers.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #22 on: September 29, 2022, 12:04:08 AM » Author: flyoffacliff
You mean like classic cars! Yeah, it's possible, but there are far less people interested in lighting than cars unfortunately. Lol.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #23 on: September 29, 2022, 12:06:17 AM » Author: Burrito
I do have a feeling that there will be a time when traditional lamps will become too precious to be put into daily use because they would become rare after a few decades of being banned by governments and discontinued by manufacturers.
Yeah, they might also ban second hand sale of fixtures and lamps?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #24 on: September 29, 2022, 01:49:56 AM » Author: joseph_125
I think it will still be pretty easy for collectors to get lamps, just not average people walking into the hardware store.

I think this will end up being what happens. When hardware stores stop stocking the old stuff, most people would have either already switched to LED for other reasons (cost, functionality), while the ones that don't care enough will probably just buy LEDs. So most non lighting enthusiasts will probably end up going that way. And the enthusiasts will probably just end up getting conventional lamps from lighting suppliers if they're still made, or from eBay. Maybe 30-50 years post ban they'll be hard to find I guess. Granted I think by then the lighting manufacturers will be pushing some lighting tech newer than LED. 
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #25 on: September 29, 2022, 03:13:59 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
There will be very little interest in classic lighting and collecting.  It just isn't worth anything and won't be worth anything and to most people, old light bulbs just take up space.  Again, the interest in old lighting will be very very small.  There will be some.  I myself won't be keeping a big collection.  Just a a few cases of incandescent 40, 60, 75, and 100W light bulbs, and maybe a few cases of T12 and T8 fluorescent lamps.  But trying to explain your lighting passion to someone else will result in them looking at you like  ???

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 09:25:59 AM » Author: Silverliner
Dumb move. LED tubes with the same lumens are barely more efficient than fluorescent. Home Depot now has twice the brightness LED T12 tubes. 3600 lumens at 40w. The Philips Advantage T12 achieved just that. Plus the LED tubes mentioned above are only 35,000 hours.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: California ban on almost all fluorescent lamps « Reply #27 on: October 04, 2022, 11:50:56 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I imagine that HID lamps will suffer a similar ban in a few years due to their mercury content.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies