Author Topic: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into?  (Read 935 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « on: September 27, 2022, 04:38:09 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if we have had any members that have recently moved into homes where LED lighting was installed everywhere at the time they moved in and replaced LED fixtures with fixtures designed for traditional lamps or undid any LED-converted vintage fixtures and converted them back to their original light sources. For example, has anyone converted an LED-converted fluorescent tube fixture back to fluorescent before or replaced an integrated LED fixture with an incandescent fixture and used incandescent lamps in it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:44:39 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 06:22:39 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I changed the LED bulbs from 2700k to 3000K in a few of the fixtures but otherwise left them LED.  I need to save as much money as I can right now. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 06:44:55 PM » Author: Rommie
I wouldn't call replacing LED with proper lighting downgrading, more the opposite  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 06:56:14 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am asking if anyone has done the opposite of LED conversions such as replacing CFL lamps with incandescent lamps or LED lamps with incandescent lamps or convert LEDized fluorescent tube fixtures back to fluorescent for purely nostalgic reasons?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 03:55:53 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Technically only lighting enthusiasts would do this, for your average Joe, there would be no point unless they would choose GLS tungsten lamps knowing they provided heat and light to help take the chill off a house in winter?
With fluorescent, again, only lighting enthusiasts would be able to tell if that existing fluorescent batten still contains its original gear or not ready for a nostalgic re-fit.

As a lighting enthusiast however, I’ve never done that, I’ve gone from LED to CFL, but never back any further.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 03:59:53 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 05:18:50 AM » Author: joseph_125
I've done some reverse retrofits before on fixtures I've obtained. I did a T8 electronic to T12 magnetic conversion on some fluorescent fixtures, mostly original T12 fixtures that were field retrofitted to T8 in service that I converted back to T12 after I obtained them.

In terms of LED to incandescent, I only rarely to do that, usually only for traffic signals as I prefer the old glass lenses and incandescent lamps in older signals. I briefly had some LED filament bulbs in some of my signals but I found incandescents to look more authentic.

I also reballasted a few HPS cobraheads for MV in the past but I stopped doing that now I have more "factory" MV fixtures and the stock HPS stuff is getting collectible now that LED is around.

There are some fluorescent fixtures I have that have gotten refitted for LED for the time just to save on energy costs, mostly the frequently used fixtures. I did make a exception for one frequently used fixture which looks a lot better with T12. Now I didn't hack them up for LED or even clip any ballast leads, instead using new wire and new sockets in order to avoid doing so. To convert back to fluorescent I just have to reinstall the original hardware into the light. My rule with retrofitting my lights has always been to not do anything irreversible such as clipping ballast leads, drilling into fixtures, or worst hacking up ballast covers etc.

Granted most people probably don't care about what kind of light source they have as long as it's bright enough and the right colour so most people outside the lighting enthusiast community probably don't bother. Besides with things like integrated LED recessed lights, it's quite a lot of work to change them with a incandescent compatible recessed can.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 07:05:11 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Even if I actually do something like that, if the lights work and don't bother me, I'd just run them until they die. Why change them if they work and I don't mind them?

Stuff is expensive nowadays. I'd probably retrofit lights back to their original light source with a few lights, but not all of them to save money. If the LED stuff is integrated stuff, yeah, I'll definitely change it to something that has replaceable lamps.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:11:41 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone “downgraded” the LED lighting in a house they moved into? « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 04:19:07 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I've replaced CFL with incandescent before.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies