Author Topic: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood?  (Read 1166 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « on: September 29, 2022, 01:26:29 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Since many people on LG find LED lighting pretty boring nowadays due to its prevalence, I am beginning to wonder if anybody remembers certain light sources that they thought were “boring” during their childhood.

In my childhood, I remember thinking that A19 incandescent lamps were pretty boring due to being used everywhere along with frosted incandescent reflector lamps with R30 and R40 envelopes.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 01:41:25 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Exactly the same, frosted 60 watt GLS lamps!, they were everywhere, I found clear lamps much better but dad didn’t like the harsh glare he said they gave out!
I did like incandescent but I had a mushroom version in my room just to be different  :'-)
GLS became interesting to me when Philips brought their Softone, ‘with a hint of’ colour, at this point my mum wanted every room white so she could choose the colour of the ambience by using the colour tinted Softones!

Then the halogens came out and I loved these, by this time dad had a 100 watt halogen (clear) on our landing as even he was impressed with how much light they put out!
At this same time I now had replaced the mushroom lamp in my room with a 4 foot warm white fluorescent though!  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 01:43:34 AM » Author: joseph_125
HPS seems to be a big one on here, especially older discussions regarding HPS streetlights and especially HPS replacing a old MV light on here. Now that HPS is getting rare to see, and pretty much extinct in some places, there's a lot more interest towards collecting HPS lights and lamps.

I suppose CFLs are another, I never really cared too much for them aside from them using less power than incandescent but it seems like they're viewed in a nostalgic light nowadays on here.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 01:47:15 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I can remember seeing high pressure sodium lanterns as being “boring” when I was coming home from trips down to San Diego, CA because the SOX low pressure sodium lanterns had that magical futuristic deep orange glow that I remembered very well.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 08:03:20 PM » Author: Rommie
I didn't find any light source boring when I was growing up, I loved all of them..! I still do, with the exception of TWMNBN (That Which Must Not Be Named)  ;)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 08:10:09 PM » Author: Burrito
Never really thought light sources where boring, i liked all of them, except for LED

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 01:02:41 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I found the HPS to be boring as they replaced the Mercury Vapor that I had grown up around.  I really liked the MV color, both corrected and non-corrected.  And then MH came out.  While a more true white and workable color, I was very displeased with how crappy of life they have. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 02:04:54 AM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not sure why exactly but standard quartz MH never really grew on me, I've always preferred the higher CRI from the 4000K CMH lamps if I wanted a white light HID source. I believe they also had better life too.

I found electronic instant start T8 pretty boring too as it pretty much just turns on compared to unique startups of preheat start, rapid start, and programmed start. I suppose the EOL is probably the most interesting part about those, that and the fact that they seem to run SOX lamps pretty well.
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 05:17:42 AM » Author: Michael
Back in the days even LED was very interesting to me. I remember when my mum brought me home some red/ amber/ green 5mm LEDs for playing. That was in the second half of the 1980s.  :led:
At that time every type of lamp was interesting and I had access to three shops where I have been allowed to look after interesting bulbs in boxes behind the shop clerk desk and back rooms.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 09:22:49 AM » Author: Silverliner
HPS, T8/T5 electronic fluorescent, halogen, twister CFLs, and most modern post 1980 GLS lamps except Philips/Westinghouse square T19 bulbs and some quality GLS by like Duro-Test among others.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

NElighting0503

View Posts
View Gallery

Jude - Lighting collector & photographer

UCarc5doN_q6jwc1wqF0oPig
Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 05:23:16 PM » Author: NElighting0503
Mine were mostly metal halide and fluorescent (mainly PL-L) lamps. While I thought the white light was interesting in its own way I saw SON and SOX as far more interesting due to their unique colour. Now looking back the ones I saw little interest in have a lot more value now.

In the Newcastle (UK) and North Tyneside area the lanterns of choice were either WRTL Arc 80/90 and Libra lanterns, the Libra's consisting of PL-L lamps whereas the Arcs were predominantly SON all over, though CDO-TT lamps were installed on the side road Arcs a few years before the PFI hit in 2019. Almost all the lanterns have now disappeared from roads, (with a few exceptions still remaining) and Philips Lumistreet lanterns have been put in place. By comparison, the Arcs and Libras are way more interesting now than they ever were!

Interested in lighting since 2011,
Collecting since 2018.

🇬🇧 North east England,
230V 50Hz

Das Rheingold

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 10:35:48 PM » Author: Das Rheingold
I'd say those metal halide area lights, ones that you'd see on car lots and large yards. No interesting color shifting and they were blinding

And perhaps HPS, if all the cobras were the same, otherwise I'd still find them interesting.

My preference: Mercury Vapor > High Pressure Sodium > Metal Halide > Low Pressure Sodium > Incandescent > LED

Classical music appreciator, lover of all things machinery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Light sources that were considered “boring” during your childhood? « Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 02:02:35 AM » Author: dor123
The incandescent and halogen lamps were boring to me during my teenage, as their operating principle was very simple compared to other lamps.
HID lamps were the only interesting lamps to me during this period.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies