Author Topic: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket  (Read 713 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « on: October 02, 2022, 03:39:24 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Rare GE ultraviolet mercury lamp on ebay along with its special equipment. I was considering getting just the bulb, but I don’t want to pay 60 dollars for something i won’t ever be able to use without also buying the 80 dollar ballast, especially when another collector with deeper pockets can get both and actually be able to run the thing.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265877870243

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265877868462
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 09:21:41 PM by RadiantMV » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: GE H85A3 mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 03:44:19 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In theory, you could operate this lamp using a 480v step up transformer and in conjuntion with appropriate chokes and/or incandescent lamps wired in series with the lamp because of its very high arc voltage drop.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 10:12:31 PM » Author: joseph_125
Hopefully whoever buys this buys both and keeps the set together.
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 10:49:13 PM » Author: RadiantMV
I’m actually considering it, but one thing I’m worried about is the UV rays. Perhaps i can attach a circular glass piece to the reflector and use it as a desk lamp, although its only rated for 500 hour life so I’m not entirely sure.
Rommie
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 05:45:06 AM » Author: Rommie
@ joseph_125 - I'm seriously thinking about it, but they don't quote shipping costs  :wndr:
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 06:40:46 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
It says right on the label that it runs of std . 110-120v . Look at the 4th picture .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 09:24:59 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
That is what the ballast is meant to run off of, but in theory, if the lamp was to run off a simple series choke ballast or a resistive ballast with no transformer, it would need 480v mains because this lamp has a very high arc voltage drop of 250v approximately, but the ballast has an integral transformer to step up the mains from 120v to roughly 480v to allow for stable lamp operation on standard 120v mains. The definition of OCV is defined as an autotransformer ballast’s secondary voltage while a simple series choke ballast’s OCV is just the mains voltage itself.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:28:07 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 02:40:09 AM » Author: lights*plus
These items are in Montreal. I should let everyone know that I am not interested in them. But on behalf of Ria/Rommie, please lay off buying or bidding on them at least until I find out if I can pickup. I'll let you know when you could make offers. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 03:10:09 PM by lights*plus » Logged
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 03:11:55 AM » Author: lights*plus
Here's another mercury lamp power supply: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125358546048

I'm not sure what a "QC 512nm Lamp" is, but I'm sure of the Advance 100watt, 120volt single tap, 71A2800 HX-NPF mercury ballast within.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:48:23 AM by lights*plus » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 03:21:49 AM » Author: joseph_125
The complete unit had a handheld floodlight attached so I guess it's a inspection lamp.

Probably used for manual quality control inspections of silicon chip wafers from the name.
Mandolin Girl
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 09:15:51 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm guessing here, but the QC probably means Quality Control and the 512nm refers to the wavelength.  :wndr:
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 02:29:03 PM » Author: RadiantMV
@ joseph_125 - I'm seriously thinking about it, but they don't quote shipping costs  :wndr:

Assuming you do get it, do you have a proper transformer to run it? Just curious as its 120V.
Mandolin Girl
Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 02:33:28 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We do indeed, we have this very useful bit of kit. :love:
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 03:29:49 PM » Author: Burrito
I'm guessing here, but the QC probably means Quality Control and the 512nm refers to the wavelength.  :wndr:
Yes, i believe the nm means Nanometers

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE H85A3 lab arc mercury lamp + special ballast and socket « Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 04:50:26 PM » Author: RadiantMV
They’re both gone. Who got it?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies