Author Topic: Colored CFL Lamps  (Read 2526 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Colored CFL Lamps « on: October 07, 2022, 04:38:36 AM » Author: Econolite03
Good super early morning L-G,

I have a topic that (spoiler alert) kinda predicts my next thing. Colored compact fluorescent lamps. You know, those “party” bulbs you used to see everywhere in the late 2000s and into the following decade. Now that CFLs are pretty much a thing of the past, I believe they’ve now become collectors’ items. I’ve taken a liking to them.

Is anyone here into colored CFL bulbs or remember when they were popular once upon a time? If so, please share! BLB tubes included.
 :blbcfl:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 07:29:17 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, I like them, but for some reason the ones we generally get over here all seem to have white bases, irrespective of the colour of the tube. I prefer the ones you get over there where the base colour matches the lamp colour  :redcflhd: ;pinkcflhd: :yellowcflhd: :greencflhd: :bluecflhd: :blbcflhd:

Oh yes, if anyone has a pink one they're prepared to sell or trade, please let me know, can't find one here  ;pinkcflhd:

By the way, please stop using words like 'early' and 'morning', particularly together one after the other, it's very scary  :poof:  :mrg:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:31:57 AM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 07:31:05 AM » Author: mdcastle
I'm more into traffic signals, but my light bulb collecting tends to run towards quirky modern stuff, among the things I have are a complete set of the dichro-color floods, a lot of weird early LED retrofits, A NOS GE Halarc, and some low pressure sodium stuff. I do have a complete set of the FEIT colored CFL (although not every packaging variation), think there's a photo on my gallery someplace.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 04:22:12 PM » Author: joseph_125
I remember seeing them around 10-15 years ago but I don't think I ever actually got one aside from the blacklight blue CFLs. Probably should have gotten some in hindsight before they got replaced with coloured LEDs. The /BLB CFLs I found neat as they were a rather compact efficient source of UV-A compared to the inefficient incandescent blacklights or the large linear fluorescent blacklights. 
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 05:20:26 PM » Author: Econolite03
Thanks for the comments everyone!

@joseph_125: Yeah, I remember there was a small business in Yorba Linda, CA that had IIRC a red, yellow, green, and blue CFL in their display window back in 2011 which I think was kind-of their height of popularity.
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 01:13:01 AM » Author: Alex
Hello,
I have something like three to four colored CFLS. A red, green yellow and BLB if i recall correctly. They are only some cheap Chinese ones with now particular historical or technological value. I bought them just to show some variety of fluorescent tubes. As much as I know, non of the big players in europe, nether Osram nor Philips had colored CFLs in their product portfolio, I only know of colored Dulux-S G23 "PL" Lamps made by Osram. Now I wonder, who come up with colored fluorescent tubes? Was it an American company are one of the far east? If the latter it will be very difficult to trace it out. Id like to do more with my CFLs, also regarding shape designs and manufactory facilities, however that is  ery difficult, as the manufacturer is often not on the lamp but only a brand names and factory identification are very difficult due to language barriers and many small building facilities that are simply unknown to everyone that is not a distributer that does export from Chine. The same goes by the way with LED.

Best regards,

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 09:43:08 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I do remember reading in a book that GE in the States worked on coloured fluorescent tubes.?  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 05:00:13 PM » Author: High Intensity
I could say something, but I think this photo speaks for itself.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 05:02:52 PM » Author: Rommie
Yep,  :curse: blister packs  >:(

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 05:05:10 PM » Author: High Intensity
I was talking about the number of CFLs, which makes up almost all of my colored CFLs.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 05:08:06 PM » Author: Econolite03
Ohhh yeah! Colored CFLs all the way.

@Rommie: Blister packs are genius.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 05:11:53 PM » Author: Rommie
@ High Intensity - Yeah, I get that, but blister packs really irritate me. Card sleeves or boxes are much better, for a start they don't use plastic (most of which never gets recycled) and you mostly can't reuse them once opened. The packaging for this lamp was the best we ever had here. Simple and cheap to make, and no non-recyclable waste.

@ Econolite03 - Yeah, right  :mrg:

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 05:17:10 PM » Author: High Intensity
At least the Feit Electric packages can be opened without much trouble, due to them not being sealed, the TCP ones on the other hand are just, well... Y'know. :eoled:
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 09:35:11 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Somewhere in my X-mas stuff , I have 3 . A red , green & blue . 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Colored CFL Lamps « Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 01:19:08 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
China has a lot of CFL for colored tubes and many CFLs for white tubes but can emit colored light. Among them, the cost of color tube CFL is very low, but its color saturation is very high.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies