Author Topic: Daintree Drops GE Trademark  (Read 1360 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Daintree Drops GE Trademark « on: October 13, 2022, 07:59:31 AM » Author: Econolite03
A few years ago, GE sold its commercial lighting division Current, to Daintree. When Daintree took over, a trademark agreement (similar to Philips’ use of the Westinghouse name during the transition) was setup where Daintree could use the “GE” name after the buyout.

While checking their website this morning, I noticed they have now dropped the “GE” name and mentions of it entirely, going under the name of just “Current”. In addition, a new logo has also been implemented, suggesting they are trying to distance themselves from General Electric and no longer have the trademark agreement which was probably set to expire at some point. What was left of GE Lighting, even after the disastrous rebrand in 2015, is officially gone. The iconic meatball logo that some products have will probably go away.

Meanwhile, rumor has it GE itself is on the verge of bankruptcy, with plans to split up into three separate companies. Only time will tell. This will be tough for all of us GE collectors out there.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 08:23:51 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
It truly is a shame.   

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 08:59:38 AM » Author: Burrito
From this point, Ge lighting products will start becoming rare, Or something

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 09:19:45 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
In the stores maybe, but there are tons of lamps on shelves in homes and businesses collecting dust that will turn up in online auctions and garage sales and such.  For many many many years to come.  They won't be of any financial worth/collection pieces nor garner high collection prices.  Same for all the brands. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 12:06:33 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It's a sad day indeed, but the rot probably started when the company passed out of the hands of the lighting engineers and into the hands of the bean counters.  :( :curse:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 03:38:42 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Just another nail in the coffin for GE, full of history but modern stupidity is about to end it all. Crazy to think even the LED bulbs I have are worth something now since they're all GE.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 04:12:29 PM » Author: Burrito
At least Ge street lights are still very common to find. Also, currents logo doesn't look very good, IMO.

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 04:44:51 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not too surprised. I wonder if Savant is still keeping the GE logo and name or are they going to start branding their products with the Savant name instead. Daintree could also be distancing themselves from the GE name from the association with Savant too.

To be honest, this reminds me of what happened to Westinghouse during the 80s. A shame, but I saw it coming after GE split their lighting division apart in the mid 2010s.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 09:24:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah my guess is Savant as well as Jasco will still use the GEnme. As far as household products go the GE logo is more recognizable whereas in commercial lighting it’s not as big of a deal since most people don’t know what brand the streetlights are nor do they care.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Daintree Drops GE Trademark « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 01:01:02 PM » Author: RadiantMV
The unfortunate truth is that this is the sad reality of companies in general. Like people and countries/empires, companies live and die and rise and fall in a natural cycle, and no company lasts forever sadly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 10:03:06 PM by RadiantMV » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies